Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Entries for NHC  (Read 7461 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Entries for NHC
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2022, 05:35:51 pm »
Can someone help with explaining the groupings at the NHC?

How many sub categories are lumped into “Pilsner”?

Was there not a category for Pale Bitter European Lager?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 06:00:30 pm by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2022, 05:59:02 pm »

Are German Pilsners (5D) lumped in with American Lagers?

I did not see a category for Pale Bitter European Beer. It appears that all of the pilsners might have been lumped together.

Pale Lager, i.e., American Lager is a category unto itself. As is Pale Bitter European Beer, classic German Pilsner.
It was category 3 “Pilsner”. From my understanding it’s both German and Czech pils. I had two in that category and the beers were some of the best I ever made, but I got skunked.

The NHC is hands down the toughest home brew comp. In smaller comps a lot of novice brewers enter and it swells the overall number of beers and brewers in the competition. At the NHC you get some of the most experienced and competitive brewers from all across the US. This comp is a b****.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2022, 07:08:05 pm »

I did not see a category for Pale Bitter European Beer. It appears that all of the pilsners might have been lumped together.

Pale Lager, i.e., American Lager is a category unto itself. As is Pale Bitter European Beer, classic German Pilsner.
It was category 3 “Pilsner”. From my understanding it’s both German and Czech pils. I had two in that category and the beers were some of the best I ever made, but I got skunked.

The NHC is hands down the toughest home brew comp. In smaller comps a lot of novice brewers enter and it swells the overall number of beers and brewers in the competition. At the NHC you get some of the most experienced and competitive brewers from all across the US. This comp is a b****.

I had three entries, Munich Helles, German Pilsner, and a Festbier. Of the 3, I honestly thought the Helles would do well. It might be my best beer. 3 up, and 3 down...that's what they call a strikeout!

Congratulations to you for getting a medal.

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2022, 08:29:59 pm »

I had three entries, Munich Helles, German Pilsner, and a Festbier. Of the 3, I honestly thought the Helles would do well. It might be my best beer. 3 up, and 3 down...that's what they call a strikeout!

Congratulations to you for getting a medal.
Thank you. Just keep plugging away, your time will come.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2022, 08:42:44 pm »
Nothing for my Pils. Largest category this year.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2022, 05:52:55 am »
To me, it shows the general progression in homebrewing.  Pilsner used to be one of the lesser entered categories, but now it was the highest entered.  That says a lot about the improved skill of homebrewers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2022, 06:22:11 am »
To me, it shows the general progression in homebrewing.  Pilsner used to be one of the lesser entered categories, but now it was the highest entered.  That says a lot about the improved skill of homebrewers.

The 146 entries was the result of many styles getting lumped together. Anything that was a "Pils" was thrown in. Had they ran the normal categories, with the respective sub-categories, Pilsner would not have ranked the highest.

They completely omitted the Bitter European Lager category, which is what my 5D German Pilsner was.

The winner was a New Zealand Pils. I am told this beer is much closer to an IPA than a Euro-Pilsner. Grassy, citrus like hop character.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 06:56:20 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2022, 07:17:11 am »
No disrespect, but Hoo-boy, that is a huge leap to take, in my opinion.  That Pilsner was the highest entered category can be explained away by many reasons, the least of which might be that homebrewers have improved dramatically as a lot in the last few years.

Could be a restructuring of the competition.
Could be a shift in beer drinking trends.
Could be that Pilsner now gets more inappropriate or poorly made entrants than ever before.  :-\

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2022, 07:58:39 am »
I am basing it on my own anecdotal experience in judging, so it could be a biased view, but in all categories the quality on average has greatly improved over the last 15 years.  That leads many brewers to enter only really well made beers.  Pilsners are among the tougher beers to get right, with little to hide behind.  Just celebrating that, is all.  Cheers!

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2022, 11:53:19 am »
I am basing it on my own anecdotal experience in judging, so it could be a biased view, but in all categories the quality on average has greatly improved over the last 15 years.  That leads many brewers to enter only really well made beers.  Pilsners are among the tougher beers to get right, with little to hide behind.  Just celebrating that, is all.  Cheers!

I have witnessed the same thing. Many of the judges I’ve talk to have said something similar, home brewing is increasing in quality, especially in the last 10-15 years. Brewers and their beers are just getting better.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2022, 12:05:43 pm »
I won’t disagree that homebrewers are getting better, but my point is that (IMO) this theory isn’t proven by the fact that there are more entries in the Pilsner category than year’s past.

Show me that scores in all categories are trending upwards as a whole, and I might get on board.

Sorry for being a PITA.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2022, 12:41:10 pm »
I won’t disagree that homebrewers are getting better, but my point is that (IMO) this theory isn’t proven by the fact that there are more entries in the Pilsner category than year’s past.

Show me that scores in all categories are trending upwards as a whole, and I might get on board.

Sorry for being a PITA.

I pretty much agree with you.  Lagers are simply becoming more popular.  More commercial breweries are making them, liking them, and taking the cue to make them.  The perceived increase in quality could simply be because there are more of them out there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2022, 03:25:09 pm »
I see your point and agree that without data analysis, my point is pure conjecture.  But I “think” the beers in competitions are greatly improved, which came about because (perhaps) homebrewers sought the challenge of lagers, especially lighter lagers that traditionally required greater brewer control than ales.  I could be dead ass wrong,  but as a lager brewer (predominantly), I think the homebrewers have less fear to make difficult beers now.

Cheers to a great hobby!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2022, 04:01:28 pm »
I see your point and agree that without data analysis, my point is pure conjecture.  But I “think” the beers in competitions are greatly improved, which came about because (perhaps) homebrewers sought the challenge of lagers, especially lighter lagers that traditionally required greater brewer control than ales.  I could be dead ass wrong,  but as a lager brewer (predominantly), I think the homebrewers have less fear to make difficult beers now.

Cheers to a great hobby!

I don't judge a lot any more, but the last couple times I did I don't recall the beers generally being better quality than previously.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2022, 06:29:44 pm »
You could be right.  I had a recent 45 not place, though - again, just anecdotal.