Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gelatin after carbonation  (Read 2198 times)

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Gelatin after carbonation
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2022, 05:00:52 pm »
I have some CellarScience Baja I’m going to try next
So did you buy the giant package of it that was around $100 from MoreBeer?  Very curious about this yeast and I'd like to give it a run too but I wish they'd come out with a smaller package.  Do you have experience with Omega 113 or White Labs 940 (seems like the same strain)?  If the Baja produced that character I would be a happy brewer.  Please let us know how it behaves and how the beer comes out.  Cheers.

Yes. 500 grams. Batch will be 34 gallons so was going to pitch 250 grams of yeast no rehydration. 48F ferm temp.

I have no experience with the liquid yeast versions you mentioned but I will definitely post my results with the Baja yeast. Hopefully brewing this Saturday!

FWIW I’ve had excellent results with the “German” and “Berlin” yeasts from CellarScience.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2022, 09:49:17 pm »
Mystery solved! Somebody changed the temperature setting on the refrigerator and the keg was not nearly as cold as it should have been, so it was taking a long time to clear.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2022, 07:00:41 am »
Mystery solved! Somebody changed the temperature setting on the refrigerator and the keg was not nearly as cold as it should have been, so it was taking a long time to clear.
WHOA!  Mysterious.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2022, 07:06:30 am »
I have some CellarScience Baja I’m going to try next
So did you buy the giant package of it that was around $100 from MoreBeer?  Very curious about this yeast and I'd like to give it a run too but I wish they'd come out with a smaller package.  Do you have experience with Omega 113 or White Labs 940 (seems like the same strain)?  If the Baja produced that character I would be a happy brewer.  Please let us know how it behaves and how the beer comes out.  Cheers.

Yes. 500 grams. Batch will be 34 gallons so was going to pitch 250 grams of yeast no rehydration. 48F ferm temp.

I have no experience with the liquid yeast versions you mentioned but I will definitely post my results with the Baja yeast. Hopefully brewing this Saturday!

FWIW I’ve had excellent results with the “German” and “Berlin” yeasts from CellarScience.
Please keep us posted.  I think there are multiple threads that mention the Baja yeast now.  This goes back a bit but I went on a 10-year anniversary trip back to the resort we stayed at on Mexico's Pacific coast in 2002 and I discovered Victoria beer which at that time was not available in the US.  I believe that 940/113/Baja is (or came from) Modelo's yeast.  I remember the delicious character of that beer as I sat in one of those straw-canopied places on the beach.  Also, in those days White Labs 940 was a platinum strain and only available occasionally and I usually ordered some.  I recognized the character I liked in my own beers made with 940.  So I have a personal infatuation with this yeast and of course it would be sweet if there was a dry version.  I could be a happy brewer with Diamond, Baja, BRY-97 and S-04.  Good luck on the big batch.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.