Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Next Brew day, might be in the morning  (Read 1779 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Re: Next Brew day, might be in the morning
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2022, 01:29:18 pm »
If my original said S04 that was my error.  I am going to use the BRY97, simply because I thought it worked well with the last brew I used it for.  I will save the S05 for my brothers wheat beer.  That seemed to work well for him. 

Anyway, off we go, with the ingredients as listed.  Wish me luck.  LOL

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2022, 03:45:57 pm »
Good luck!

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2022, 04:32:32 pm »
OK.  Mash floated between 146 and 152, so I think I am ok.  I did the dunk in 170 degree sparge, then topped off with another sparge over the grains.  I ended up with a little over 7 gallons in the kettle.  Pre boil according to BrewFather was supposed to be 1.046 and I was at 1.050.  Not sure if that is good or not, but we move on.  Boil is ongoing now.  First hop in at 60.  Will keep you all posted.  I am pretty happy that I was able to keep a better lid on the mash temp, so we will see how it goes.  Thank to all who are watching and posting comments. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2022, 04:35:33 pm »
OK.  Mash floated between 146 and 152, so I think I am ok.  I did the dunk in 170 degree sparge, then topped off with another sparge over the grains.  I ended up with a little over 7 gallons in the kettle.  Pre boil according to BrewFather was supposed to be 1.046 and I was at 1.050.  Not sure if that is good or not, but we move on.  Boil is ongoing now.  First hop in at 60.  Will keep you all posted.  I am pretty happy that I was able to keep a better lid on the mash temp, so we will see how it goes.  Thank to all who are watching and posting comments.

Sounds good to me!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2022, 04:47:24 pm »

Sounds good to me!

Awesome, thank you Denny.  Your saying that makes me feel a lot better about this  I am always worried when I don't hit the numbers.  I appreciate and respect your opinions on this stuff.   ROCK ON!!!!!!! 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2022, 05:46:39 pm »
Boil done.   Now moving to the fermenter. Going to check the OG.  Smells kinda nutty with a bit of fruit, but I am hopeful the Dry hop of citra will move it to a more fruity taste.  Either way, I am happy with what has happened so far.  I am learning how to keep the temp during the mash and once I get that nailed down, I think I am going to be ok.  ROCK ON!!!!!!!

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2022, 06:35:54 pm »
OK, in the fermenter.  According to my hydrometer, I am at 1.059.  My Ispindel says 1.062.  I am ok with that.  According to Brewfather I should have been at 1.051, so I missed it pretty bad.  But, it is what it is.  Maybe I should not have had quite as much sparge water?  I don't know, but I am good with where I am.  I am going to let it go and see what happens.  I have a 1/2 ounce of Citra and 1/2 ounce of Magnum.  I don't know about the Magnum as a dry hop, but the Citra is going in after fermentation is over with.  What the heck, huh?   LOL. 

Anybody have any input or thoughts please let me know.  But this one went about as good as any I have done so far.  So, I am hopeful for a good product.  ROCK ON!!!!!!!

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2022, 08:08:23 pm »
OK, in the fermenter.  According to my hydrometer, I am at 1.059.  My Ispindel says 1.062.  I am ok with that.  According to Brewfather I should have been at 1.051, so I missed it pretty bad.  But, it is what it is.  Maybe I should not have had quite as much sparge water?  I don't know, but I am good with where I am.  I am going to let it go and see what happens.  I have a 1/2 ounce of Citra and 1/2 ounce of Magnum.  I don't know about the Magnum as a dry hop, but the Citra is going in after fermentation is over with.  What the heck, huh?   LOL. 

Anybody have any input or thoughts please let me know.  But this one went about as good as any I have done so far.  So, I am hopeful for a good product.  ROCK ON!!!!!!!
That sounds great. As for why you are high on gravity, maybe you have less volume than expected or maybe you underestimated your efficiency. Both those are fixable on the next batch and I think you’re gonna have good beer. Cheers

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2022, 07:20:29 am »
Missing your gravity target on the high side is a whole lot better than missing it on the low side as you have in the past. In any case, you are not too far off and you should be able to make some adjustments to your next brew to get closer.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2022, 08:05:04 am »

It could just be that your malt had more potential extract than your software accounted for. It could be that rhe sparge extracted more sugar from the grain. It could be the phase of the moon!  😁
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2022, 08:28:38 am »
The moon for sure.  Also has been quite a lot of sunspot activity.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2022, 08:47:52 pm »
All good info.  Thanks.  It has been sitting in the fermenter since Wednesday and I have seen a pretty good bit of activity until yesterday.  It has stalled at about 1.036 or so.  This time,I am going to leave it be for at least another week and then check it.  If it is not close, I am going to leave it be even longer.  LOL.  No rushing this one at all. 

Other than that, I was pretty happy with the way it worked out, and I have buy in for me to purchase a grain mill.  I have a 60.00 gift card to Austin Home Brew that my son gave me.  I would rather use it for something that I can have for a long time versus a kit that will be done in a few minths, if that.  So, now I have one 5 gallo keg finishing up and one 5 gallon bucket in the works.  I am feeling tood about it.