Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Getting steam buildup inside my Foundry control panel  (Read 3727 times)

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
Re: Getting steam buildup inside my Foundry control panel
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2021, 06:48:37 am »
Wanted to follow up on this because it was a bit of a pain in the neck trying to get this thing apart. Maybe some pics will save someone else some time. 

The "gunk" on the screen was caught between the clear LCD bezel on the cover and a sticker-type screen protector glued to the outside of that. I must have spilled/splased/drizzled hot wort on it at one time and it was enough to loosen the glue and get behind it. It wasn't apparent until I got everything apart. I did away with the glued-on protector and instead cut a square off some cell phone screen protector film I had laying around. This should be enough to keep the plastic bezel from inadvertently getting scratched and will be easy enough to replace without dismantling everything.

There's an inner kettle and outer sleeve to the Foundry which comes apart. It's a slip-fit at the top to keep everything aligned. I had wort dried between that space which had basically glued things together. When I tried separating the two (to get to the screen) it didn't want to budge. I ended up putting a 1 gallon bucket under the kettle part and the pushing down on the Foundry handles which made it separate much easier.

The screen/controls are covered with 1/4" neoprene (wondered about putting a layer of this stuff all the way around the inside to insulate.. hmm). Four screws which attach the screen cover are under the neoprene. In my case, all the screws were installed at an angle and not straight into the boss. It must have been a Monday or Friday at the factory. Makes it a little confusing when your trying to remove them because there is neoprene stuck to everything and you can't see the angle of the screw head. I couldn't find a way of saving the neoprene as the entire thing is adhesive backed. After peeling it off with a plastic scraper, I used laquer thinner to clean up the leftovers. It was a mess. I picked up some neoprene off Amazon for $15.

The clear bezel for the screen is hot welded to the black cover with four plastic posts. This is where I noticed there were two layers to the screen. Luckily, I was able to cut through the hot weld with a razor knife. I probably didn't need to do this after realizing the outside cover on the screen was just glued on. I think I was assuming the entire bezel needed to be replaced.

After getting things put back together, I tried some silicone caulk around the bezel but caulk isn't my thing and I just made a mess of it. Cleaned it off and found this silicone putty type stuff on Amazon called "Sugru" and gave that a try instead. You can roll it into a small cylinder and pack it around the seams. You get a good 10 minutes of working time with it. It cures semi-soft. It's a 1-star appearance, but seems to seal OK. Supposed to be easily removed if I find a cleaner solution sometime.

All in all, It was about a six hour repair. Be sure to label all the wiring, especially for the heating element. Oh, some of the connectors on the bottom of the unit have adhesive of some kind dabbed onto them. Not sure if it's for tamper evidence or to keep things from wiggling loose over time. This has to come off. I just used a dab of silicone RTV when re-assembling.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2021, 08:31:58 am »
I have noticed some Foundry owners using a plastic sheet film to cover the whole unit during brew day. I don't know if it is a cooking product or what but it sticks on and seals tight and then peels off when you want to remove it. Sorry I can't be more specific but I've seen a few pics on the Facebook Anvil owners group of people using this method to keep water out of the control panel.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2021, 03:24:25 am »
Check the group page on Facebook great source of knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2021, 05:32:15 pm »
After getting things put back together, I tried some silicone caulk around the bezel but caulk isn't my thing and I just made a mess of it. Cleaned it off and found this silicone putty type stuff on Amazon called "Sugru" and gave that a try instead. You can roll it into a small cylinder and pack it around the seams. You get a good 10 minutes of working time with it. It cures semi-soft.

Man, I'm really happy you brought Sugru to my attention because I was just able to successfully repair a pinhole leak in the fanbox of my kegerator that would have been really difficult to get at with a caulk gun - good stuff.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2021, 03:53:39 am »
After getting things put back together, I tried some silicone caulk around the bezel but caulk isn't my thing and I just made a mess of it. Cleaned it off and found this silicone putty type stuff on Amazon called "Sugru" and gave that a try instead. You can roll it into a small cylinder and pack it around the seams. You get a good 10 minutes of working time with it. It cures semi-soft.

Man, I'm really happy you brought Sugru to my attention because I was just able to successfully repair a pinhole leak in the fanbox of my kegerator that would have been really difficult to get at with a caulk gun - good stuff.

Yeah, I can see how it fills the niche in a difficult-to-reach place. Where a piece of chewing gum on your finger would do but it needs to hold up like a bead of silicone. Glad the info paid off - and that your leak is fixed!

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2022, 11:44:12 am »
I was considering getting a foundry.  Is this a common issue?  Would you suggest a different product?
Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing

narvin

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2022, 01:31:02 pm »
I was considering getting a foundry.  Is this a common issue?  Would you suggest a different product?

I haven't had the issue although I have the older version where the control panel is in the base below the insulted jacket.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2022, 04:41:37 pm »

Not sure if it's a common issue but Anvil's customer service has been great. The tech guys sound like they know these things inside-out too. I'd buy one again just based on that. It's nice knowing if something goes wron with the equipment, there is another avenue for solutions besides an internet search engine.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2022, 08:12:25 am »

Every product has limitations. I would not let this one dissuade you from buying a Foundry. It only takes a little care to avoid the issue and as a whole the unit works as advertised.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2022, 04:53:04 am »

Every product has limitations. I would not let this one dissuade you from buying a Foundry. It only takes a little care to avoid the issue and as a whole the unit works as advertised.

Exactly. And to be perfectly clear, the tl;dr here is that this whole problem wasn't due to steam buildup. Had I taken some extra time (nearly non-existant with small kids) to really look at this, I might have noticed I could have just peeled off the "screen protector" (pic below), cleaned off the gunk caught between, and been on my way. No need to take the thing apart (although it was fun to see how this thing was put together).

Offline amurfey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2022, 02:38:27 pm »
I wish I had seen this post before I went through the almost exact same process you went through! 

I ran into the same challenge pulling the inner sleeve out due to dried, sticky wort holding the two pieces together.  The screws holding the control panel in place were also cockeyed on my unit and a real pain to remove.  I also shredded the neoprene in the process, but used some heat resistant insulating tape to patch it up (hopefully that works as well as the neoprene). 

Once I got everything cleaned and reassembled, I used some clear silicone caulk around the LCD and also around the top and sides of the control panel.  Haven't tested it yet, but keeping fingers crossed that it will hold up.  Will also be extra careful about avoiding boilovers in the future...

As you pointed out, it was educational to see how the whole thing was put together.   I spoke to Anvil tech support at one point, and they were very supportive.  The guy told me that if I needed any schematics, or replacement parts they had them available at a reasonable price.  Good to know for future reference.

Happy homebrewing!

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2022, 06:07:37 pm »
I wish I had seen this post before I went through the almost exact same process you went through! 

I ran into the same challenge pulling the inner sleeve out due to dried, sticky wort holding the two pieces together.  The screws holding the control panel in place were also cockeyed on my unit and a real pain to remove.  I also shredded the neoprene in the process, but used some heat resistant insulating tape to patch it up (hopefully that works as well as the neoprene). 

Once I got everything cleaned and reassembled, I used some clear silicone caulk around the LCD and also around the top and sides of the control panel.  Haven't tested it yet, but keeping fingers crossed that it will hold up.  Will also be extra careful about avoiding boilovers in the future...

As you pointed out, it was educational to see how the whole thing was put together.   I spoke to Anvil tech support at one point, and they were very supportive.  The guy told me that if I needed any schematics, or replacement parts they had them available at a reasonable price.  Good to know for future reference.

Happy homebrewing!

Congrats on hacking your Foundry :). It's a little daunting when pull the bottom off and see all those wires connected everywhere. Glad you found the post useful in some way. I was surprised at the level of support I received from Anvil as well, almost astonished. I'm not used to getting that kind of service these days and it made enough of an impact on me that I would not hesitate to purchase more of their stuff in the future.

Glad you got it back together and working. Cheers!

Offline amurfey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2022, 10:55:27 am »
You can refer to following PDF with schematics of the Foundry to see how everything should be connected:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/10hQQ3TNIG8zTu9hodu31F_1tM-ZXWdA8/view?usp=sharing

Happy homebrewing!

-Alex