Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Commercial beers once OK, now terrible?  (Read 827 times)

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
Commercial beers once OK, now terrible?
« on: June 20, 2022, 01:48:36 pm »
Asking others for their input.

What commercial beers were once OK, but are now terrible?

For me Anchor Steam Beer.

Once my go to favorite. Now, I must brew my own as the commercial product is horrible.

I know Anchor was bought out the Japanese company Sapporro. Maybe, this accounts for the awful current Anchor Steam?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Commercial beers once OK, now terrible?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 11:10:06 pm »
Anchor Steam is not terrible. It was just never great. Same un-great flavor as ever.

I can’t really think of any terrible beers. I either avoid them subconsciously or they went out of circulation.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline pv

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 07:33:05 am »
I drink so little commercial beer, so I cannot think of a single current example.  The only one that came to mind was Pete's Wicked Ale.  When he had the company, I thought it was great.  The last few times I bought it (about 20 yrs ago?), I thought it was crap.  I think Gambrinus destroyed a great beer.  Maybe my taste changed or maybe I was just being sentimental for for the Pete's I remembered.
Upstate South Carolina

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 02:47:14 pm »
Anchor Steam is not terrible. It was just never great. Same un-great flavor as ever.

I can’t really think of any terrible beers. I either avoid them subconsciously or they went out of circulation.

I agree, i feel like a lot of it was simply the fact that it was an original craft beer and very different in taste than what was mostly available for a long time. i haven't seen any anchor stuff in a long time, but i do remember never loving it, but simply enjoying it on rare occasions for its strange, harsh taste.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 09:16:54 pm »
I'm sure that there are beers that have changes for the worse over the years, but our palates also change. I attribute most changes I perceive in commercial beers, for the better or worse, to changes in my palate.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV