Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: thoughts on innis & gunn, the original one?  (Read 764 times)

Online fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
thoughts on innis & gunn, the original one?
« on: August 01, 2022, 03:37:46 pm »
what are your thoughts on innis & gunn in terms of taste/perception?

ill say up front, i found it to not deliver in terms of promised flavour per price point/claims on package, but now that my options on commercial beer are increasingly limited, i've had maybe 3 over the past year and i found them pleasant enough, especially these ones i had in a can vs the clear bottles i had before. still tastes too sweet, but not overall has a lot of flavour going on, intense malty, toffee etc.

thoughts?

Offline larry4406

• 1st Kit
Re: thoughts on innis & gunn, the original one?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 04:59:12 pm »
I had it in Canada in a can about 15 years ago and was awesome.  I had it again about 9 years ago in Canada and it was awful.  Have not tried it since (have not found it here stateside in VA).

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: thoughts on innis & gunn, the original one?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 09:47:28 am »
It's fine. It's an inoffensive beer with a lot of oak flavor and not much else. The quality doesn't justify the price but buying all that wood can't be cheap. I feel like after the move to contract brewing in the mid-2010s the beer got even less interesting, which probably had to do with supplementing used bourbon barrels with alternative oak products. I'd rather pay less for an oak-free better beer with a lot of the same flavor or a little more for a beer that packs a more complex oak/barrel flavor.

The rum and Irish whisky beers are a little better but like the original, I can buy similar beers that are better quality and value.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing