Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: German Pils recommendations  (Read 7093 times)

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Re: German Pils recommendations
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2015, 11:43:41 am »

Some that I have had in the Vaterland. Some are imported.
Radeberger us ok, from the former east.
St. Pauli isn't even found in Germany.
Becks, Warsteiner, Bitburger, Oettigner, Krombacher, Hasseroeder, Binding, Veltins are all Fernseherbiers (Fernseher means far seer, similar to television) and those are viewed as the equivalent of BMC beers in Germany.
Wernesgruener is pretty good for the price at Aldis. Can find it at Aldis in the US.
Kulmbacher was OK.
Mahr's Pils is very good, imported sometimes. Kessmann is also very good, but I don't know if it leaves Bamberg.
Wuerzburger Pils is very good when I have had it.
Spaten and Paulaner are good in the softer Southern Bavarian style.
Jever and Flensburger are more assertive Northern German examples. Koernig sort of fits in there,and was a favorite when fresh.
Alpirsbacher was very good, don't know if imported.
Plank in Bavaria makes a nice pils, imported sometimes.
There are many more that I can't remember.

Trumer is brewed in Austria, just outside of Salzberg. The Berkley brewery is a partnership between Trumer and Gambrinus.

The beer from Aldi's that starts with W was terrible. My advice when you are at Aldi's: "just stick with the chocolates".
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2015, 12:53:33 pm »

Becks, Warsteiner, Bitburger, Oettigner, Krombacher, Hasseroeder, Binding, Veltins are all Fernseherbiers (Fernseher means far seer, similar to television) and those are viewed as the equivalent of BMC beers in Germany.
Wernesgruener is pretty good for the price at Aldis. Can find it at Aldis in the US.
Kulmbacher was OK.
Mahr's Pils is very good, imported sometimes. Kessmann is also very good, but I don't know if it leaves Bamberg.
Jever and Flensburger are more assertive Northern German examples. Koernig sort of fits in there,and was a favorite when fresh.

Trumer is brewed in Austria, just outside of Salzberg. The Berkley brewery is a partnership between Trumer and Gambrinus.

The beer from Aldi's that starts with W was terrible. My advice when you are at Aldi's: "just stick with the chocolates".

I haven't had it since I lived in Germany some time ago. It was one that Michael Jackson had recommended in one of his books, so I tried it and liked it then. Might have to avoid it based on what you say.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2015, 12:54:43 pm »
Could be the transport and freshness issue.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2015, 12:55:57 pm »
Could be the transport and freshness issue.

It was in green bottles then, now?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2015, 12:56:21 pm »
Yes green bottles.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
German Pils recommendations
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2015, 02:44:45 pm »
Just because I'm in PA, Penn Pilsner is pretty good. Very crisp and dry ... First time having one.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:55:32 pm by wort-h.o.g. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2015, 03:11:13 pm »
Just because I'm in PA, Penn Pilsner is pretty good. Very crisp and dry ... First time having one.
Penn's Kaiser Pils from Penn was one I enjoyed even more.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2015, 07:13:29 am »

I was just thinking about Penn Brewing the other day and wondering if they still were in existence. They used to make some pretty legit German style beers back in the late 80s and early 90s. Haven't had them since.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2015, 07:03:22 pm »
My favorite german pils is Best Malz.....just sayin ;D
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2022, 01:07:18 pm »
Kulmbacher was OK.

was drinking jever alot over the past 12 months. didn't have one for a few months, drank one randomly two days ago and it was as great as i remember. the one thing ontario has had is a good selection of imported pils/pale lagers especially from germany, kept in good condition and moved quickly.

im increasingly finding jever to be my personal gold standard of german pils. clear, light malt. their water really does something with the high ibu, i'd estimate 40, but with the water enhacing its bitterness perception just slightly. i find it good to the last drop (cliche'd i know), whereas some other pilsners end up losing something as i get closer to the bottom of the glass (loss of CO2, my tongue adjusts to/gets tired of it?)

wernesgruener used to be my favourite, and i still drink it but it just feels sweeter and just under that sharp bitterness ideal-level IBU hit that jever has.

almost tied is koenig-pils. i just end up enjoying them a lot. i do find wernie and koenig to have more hop aroma than jever though.

others from germany
warsteiner - have some good memories/associations of it for some reason. i consider it more a pale lager due to its mildness, but i do like their unique malt taste (yeast? sauergut? ??)
st. pauli is completely an american thing, i havent even see in it here in canada. might have had it in asia, cant remember
kulmbacher was meh, drinkable, nice bottles i think, half the reason i got it
wolter's - kind of weird taste, but passable cheap pale lager
colbitzer - used to love this, good quality pils for cheap
feldschlosschen - mediocre but cheap
bitburger - hate it, pathetic
holsten premium - used to be a very cheap option. just a pale lager, bland but faultless
DAB -
oettinger pils - love it for what it is, extremely cheap, hits bitterness levels correctly
radeburger - package and taste is the same as bitburger, i think slightly more bitter
becker's - nice can, bad industrial lager
"L" export/lager - i think the worst german beer i can remember tasting. it was always incredibly cheap, but tastes like they took used up malt and squeezed it in a press to get out any remaining sugars. very industrial
thueringer - got a whole bunch of this, a weird 4.3% lager, the lower alcohol makes the bitterness seem like pils range. somewhat watery but very cheap and great for afternoon drinking
DAB - actually really like it, on the higher end of just pale lager bitterness
beck's havent had it in forever but remember enjoying it.
brunonia lager - i wrote down it simply tastes like the most generic lager possible. not bad or good.
brauburger - mediocre cheap beer designed as export, similar to above
puls/darguner - industrial lager, bad
harboe/"bear beer"/"L7" - made by dargun (above) brewery also, incredibly bad. i remember getting this because it was cheap but it was a drainpour, even as a mid 20s something looking to get drunk
spaten - seems to vary from can to can, i don't recall enjoying it much. i believe corn/industrial taste.
lowenbrau - gets contract brewed, the one now in canada is bad. one brewed in germany was always cheap and plain but decent tasting. ive probably drunk hundreds of cans of it.
paulaner muenchner hell - hate it, just a bland and corny helles
hacker pschorr helles - been growing on me, not a fan of helles, but this one is pretty good. i guess hacker pschorr is brewed by paulaner, but i havent done a side-by-side tasting of either the hellesseses or weizenbeers of theirs.