Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: refractometer  (Read 1997 times)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: refractometer
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2022, 08:39:27 am »
I don't own a refractometer.  I like a hydrometer because I get to taste the sample.
You can lick a refractometer, too. It just isn't quite the same.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline ttash

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2022, 11:38:37 am »
My son gave me a 60.00 gift card that I want to use from Austin Brew supply.  I don't want to use it for ingredients, but would like to have something that I can use and keep.   I am thinking of getting the refractometer from them for 45.00 but don't know much about them.  It measures in BRIX, which would be new to me, but I am seeing that there are websites out there to convert to Gravity, so I am guessing it is not that big a deal.  Any input on a newbie using a piece of equipment like this?  I hate dumping a half a glass of beer down the drain when I use my hydrometer as well, so that is another reason I am looking at it.  LOL. 

Any input would be welcomed. 

RR

I bought mine from Agricultural Solutions. It reads both Brix and Specific Gravity, which is nice because it saves a step. It's a good quality refractometer, costs about $50.

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2022, 04:01:21 pm »
I went all in an purchased a digital refractometer a few years ago. Hydrometer samples we’re eating away at my small batches and my poor eyesight always seemed to have trouble reading an analog refractometer. It was pricey, but its a great instrument.  Plus, this hobby is all about spending money on new toys.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2022, 07:03:46 pm »
I have older eyes too so I finally bought a Milwaukee Digital refractometer last year. Wish I got it sooner! A digital refractometer are fast and easy to read and well worth the expense if it fits a brewers budget.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2022, 08:19:44 am »
I have older eyes too so I finally bought a Milwaukee Digital refractometer last year. Wish I got it sooner! A digital refractometer are fast and easy to read and well worth the expense if it fits a brewers budget.

Same here!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2022, 01:09:29 pm »

Same here!
Do those require all the same math as regular refractometers? Divide reading by correction factor to make up for color of beer and use an equation (or app) to correct fermented beer reading to account for the presence of alcohol?

I use a hydrometer floating in my fermenter for OG and FG. I just snap a photo and zoom in to read the measurements.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2022, 01:40:12 pm »

Same here!
Do those require all the same math as regular refractometers? Divide reading by correction factor to make up for color of beer and use an equation (or app) to correct fermented beer reading to account for the presence of alcohol?

I use a hydrometer floating in my fermenter for OG and FG. I just snap a photo and zoom in to read the measurements.

Yes, they do, and that put me off for years. But I found it fast and easy to set up. Wort correction factor took a brew to find, and I use an app called Brew King to convert B to SG.  I use a hydrometer for FG. I can't float a hydrometer in my fermenter even if I wanted to because it's SS.  I wondered if I woukd regret spending the $ on it and it's been the opposite. So fast and easy for taking readings during the boil.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 01:41:43 pm by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2022, 02:55:13 pm »
So, I am guessing from all the replies that it is a pretty good add on to my equipment?

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2022, 03:40:39 pm »
In a word, yes.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2022, 03:41:59 pm »
So, I am guessing from all the replies that it is a pretty good add on to my equipment?

IMO, the digital one is great. I have 3 of the normal analog ones and I hate them all.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2022, 05:58:51 pm »

IMO, the digital one is great. I have 3 of the normal analog ones and I hate them all.
Me too. I got a digital refractometer last year and I wish I bought it years ago.