Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Need an opinion  (Read 1022 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Need an opinion
« on: June 21, 2022, 12:00:06 am »
I found a recipe that I might try, but it is calling for a pound of Crystal 40.  I have 1/2 pound of crystal 20 and a half pound of crystal 60.  Would that be the same as 1 pound of 40?  LOL. I am sure not, but I figure what the heck, I might give it a go and see what I get. 

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Need an opinion
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 06:41:12 am »
I'd say that would be close enough for homebrewing purposes.  Just my opinion.

Offline pv

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 07:08:45 am »
I bet it will make beer, which is always my primary goal.  Sometimes experimentation results in a better outcome than trying to follow each detail in a recipe.  I always believe I will screw something else up, so trying to replicate someone else's beer is not a huge concern.  So many things can be different, water chemistry, boil time, crush, AA of hops and many more.  I would say mixing C20 and C60 will not give you C40, but it will make beer, and it may be better (to you) than the C40 alone.  I say go for it.
Upstate South Carolina

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 07:34:00 am »
I think it will not be exactly the same but close enough. If that's what I had on hand I would do it unless I was trying to exactly duplicate a recipe I had made before. There is a good chance the difference won't be noticable.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 07:48:59 am »
Unless you're trying to replicate a beer you've brewed before, you wouldn't have anything to compare to, so it wouldn't matter. Otherwise, you might find a subtle difference. Caramel/Crystal malts vary in flavor as well as color. Even the same color from a different maltster can be noticeably different.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline BrewBama

Need an opinion
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 09:08:37 am »
If I didn’t have C40, I’d use the C20/60 combo. It isn’t the same but I’d do it without thinking twice.

However, I probably wouldn’t use more than ~5-10% total C malt to a recipe.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 09:10:33 am by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 09:50:09 am »
If I didn’t have C40, I’d use the C20/60 combo. It isn’t the same but I’d do it without thinking twice.

Depends on the recipe, though, doesn't it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 10:16:15 am »
It won't be the same, but that doesn't;t mean it will be bad. 60L crystal has a lot of dark sugar and some raisin-like character that is not in 40L. Adding the 20L won't diminish that.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 10:56:41 am »

Depends on the recipe, though, doesn't it?
Yes, but that’s my general guideline. ‘Probably’ can (and sometimes — but rarely — does) get amended.

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2022, 07:55:36 pm »
I'm sure it would be fine.  You won't make a bad beer replacing 40 with a 20/60 combo at all. It may be different but you might not even notice unless you had them side by side and even then. Way back in the days people used to mention "layering" their crystal malts.  You might like the combo better than 60.  Report back. But if you are worried that it will ruin your beer.  I highly doubt it.  It may be a different color too.