Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPA Hop Bill  (Read 679 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
IPA Hop Bill
« on: June 22, 2022, 07:09:18 am »
I am planning an IPA with Cryo hops. I only bought 2 oz of Cryo hops for a 3 gallon batch at 1060 OG. Right now my plan is 60 IBU of Magnum at 60 minutes then 1 oz Cryo steeped and 1 oz Cryo dry hop.

Usually I would have at least one more hop addition at 5 or 10 minutes. Should add an addition there (I have plenty of not Cryo hops)?

I could also buy more Cryo but they’re kind of pricey.

PS. The Cryo hops are Simcoe and Amarillo.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 07:49:24 am by tommymorris »

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
Re: IPA Hop Bill
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 07:35:57 am »
It sounds that like me you don't have a lot of experience with cryo. For that reason alone I would just use the cryo as planned and not add regular to see how it plays. Since cryo hops are so concentrated you could divide the steeping hops (I am asssuming a 0 minute addition) into two additions.
I also think for that size batch and gravity the amount of hops are enough.
I hope you enjoy, I have used cryo 2-3 times now and am impressed by the results.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 07:53:29 am »
It sounds that like me you don't have a lot of experience with cryo. For that reason alone I would just use the cryo as planned and not add regular to see how it plays. Since cryo hops are so concentrated you could divide the steeping hops (I am asssuming a 0 minute addition) into two additions.
I also think for that size batch and gravity the amount of hops are enough.
I hope you enjoy, I have used cryo 2-3 times now and am impressed by the results.
I used Cryo once before in a Blonde/APA. That beer (Hurricane Creek Blonde from Brewbama) had a steeping addition and dry hop with Cryo. It had tons of really nice hop flavor. It also had a 10 minute addition of regular Apollo for bitterness.

Offline tommymorris

IPA Hop Bill
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 08:00:00 am »
I’m a idiot. I bought 4 oz. of the Cryo hops; 2 oz. of each variety. My brain doesn’t work sometimes these days…
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 08:03:38 am by tommymorris »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 08:28:58 am »
I use cryo in every IPA I make and have for years. The biggest tip I can give you is to ignore the advice to use half as much. That's based on IBU, which doesn't matter in late additions
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell