Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Too much trub  (Read 1387 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Too much trub
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2022, 11:38:47 am »
Beer with trub, or without trub, may or may not be different.

I do not want any residual trub in our beer. As our yeast is harvested, we only want the cleanest, trub free yeast possible.

Thus we go to great lengths to keep the beer we brew free of any brewing waste byproducts.

I harvest yeast with trub and there are no problems. You might want to try it so you can either confirm or rej3ct wht yiy believe you know.   At least, that's the way I do things.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2022, 02:11:43 pm »

I do not want any residual trub in our beer. As our yeast is harvested, we only want the cleanest, trub free yeast possible.

Thus we go to great lengths to keep the beer we brew free of any brewing waste byproducts.

I harvest yeast with trub and there are no problems. You might want to try it so you can either confirm or rej3ct wht yiy believe you know.   At least, that's the way I do things.

I am glad to hear this. Might give it a try. But it seems that the general consensus was for the yeast to always be clean.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2022, 02:39:45 pm »

I am glad to hear this. Might give it a try. But it seems that the general consensus was for the yeast to always be clean.

I think that's because in general people buy into what they're told without checking it out for themselves.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2022, 02:43:23 pm »
i had to google because i read it as "trub" not "troob", and some people are putting an umlaut on the u. not judging, but i thought i was anglicizing it when saying it, but apparently it is "trub".

um i think i just also came up with a kind of discovery here. lol, you often (not always ;) ) hear brewers saying "ver-t/vert" for wort. ha apparently this is an english origin word.

it should likely be pronounced "wort". in german it is "bierwürze" that is defined as "liquid, created during the mashing process"

the process going on here is hyperforeignism, likely due to the belief in the strong (and so it is, at least since the mid 19th century) connection between brewing and germany. not to get too far into it, but anton dreher and others in SW germany went to England and Scotland to see the world's most impressive industrial brewing methodology and took that back with them.

lol, so maybe this is not news to some, but i know i frequently hear "vert" and have heard people say "troob" rather than "trub"