Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bioengineered Salmon?  (Read 5405 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Bioengineered Salmon?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 11:15:03 pm »
The article I read about these salmon on CNN also mentioned that genetically engineered organisms have been used for some time in brewing. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it again.
There's a short comment in this article, with no references to back it up:
http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2010/09/20/genetically-modified-salmon/?hpt=T2

But there are some breweries who use GM corn in their beer.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 05:24:33 am »
We have been eatting GMO foods since the  90s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_food

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 06:05:24 am »

There's no alternative in most of those cases. Also, they don't make it quite as public as this salmon thing.
copyright/patenting food is crap IMO. All they have to do is crate an invasive species, that drowns out the natural animal/plant and next thing you know... monopoly.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 09:14:24 am »
Genetically modified foods can be very good, and very bad, depending on the circumstances.  I view it as morally neutral on the whole.  Centuries ago the idea of selective breeding and splicing to create new varietals, new fruits, more disease resistant crops, etc., probably seemed unnatural to some.  In another few centuries genetically modified food will seem old hat and uncontroversial and there will be some other cause celebre for the world's richest and best-fed people groups to get their dander up about.

That is, unless the Great Prophet Zarquon returns first!!

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 12:35:56 pm »
If it's not wild Chinook, it's not salmon!

AMEN to that!
Farm raised salmon is bad enough...now bioengineered too?  And like bioengineered vegetables, they will likely not be required to identify it as such?

I envy you west-coasters...here in the east farm raised Atlantic salmon is prevalent (and tasteless, and nutritionally deficient besides) and wild Atlantic salmon is all but extinct.

Love that Chinook or Sockeye when I can get it!!!. 

I agree, the farm raised fish are way too oily and taste like crap.  I have had farmed shell fish though and they were pretty good (clams and Chinocoteague oysters)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 12:58:33 pm »
Soylent Green was on last weekend. Let's hope we don't go that route. ::)

Farm raised oysters are excellent. Otherwise I'm on the flip-side. If it's Bio-engineered... a little disconcerting but OK. My main concern is growth-hormone and antibiotics in beef, pork and poultry. Trying not to think about it.

If we want fresh unadulterated fish- salmon in particular we'll need to do something about our rivers and allow them to multiply naturally or aided by hatcheries and released into the wild.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 01:27:13 pm »

There's no alternative in most of those cases. Also, they don't make it quite as public as this salmon thing.
copyright/patenting food is crap IMO. All they have to do is crate an invasive species, that drowns out the natural animal/plant and next thing you know... monopoly.

I agree. GM food is one of those things I dislike on principle, mostly due to the dependence. Get rid of the patent laws on food crops and let Monsanto go back to selling Roundup for a living.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 07:26:27 pm »
Soylent Green was on last weekend. Let's hope we don't go that route. ::)

It's really probably the only reasonable direction to go. Too many people on the planet.
Everyone going vegetarian is NOT the answer. Prisons would become feed lots basically, clean em up - get the drugs out of their systems, fatten them up a bit and utilize them for the better good. People wouldn't be so cavalier about doing time anymore. It'd clean up the world in so many ways.
The moral majority, is neither.