Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing software  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Brewing software
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2022, 09:28:36 am »
Brewer's Friend for me as well.  I started there and never had any reason to change.  Not saying it's the best, because I've never compared it to any other software.  It just works.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2022, 09:31:17 am »
I use BeerSmith. Although it has a few quirks and shortcomings, the strengths far outweigh the weaknesses. I like the database of ingredients, which is easily expanded by the user, the inventory tracking and the Brew Log record of all my brews.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Nicholas Golden

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2022, 04:28:22 pm »
I started with Promash almost 25 years ago and still use it sometimes. The carbonationcalcultor in it is first rate, for instance. Tried Beersmith for a while nd just couldn't get into to.  Used the Grainfather software and got good resukts, but all the cool kids were raving about Brewfather so I tried that for a while. Didn't care for it and now I'm back on Grainfather. One of the things I like about is that it implements the mIBU formula, which I feel gives me better results.
I heard a talk about mIBU (maybe it was your show I forget) and it sounds awesome. I hope it makes its way to Brewfather. I use a counter flow chiller so it stays hot longer than if I had used an immersion chiller. mIBU takes that into account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2022, 07:41:39 pm »
I am still using ProMash.
It works in VM and I am not planning to change it.

Brew n Water for water adjustments

And brewing spreadsheet for Brewday just to keep detail time and record.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2022, 08:31:33 am »
I started with Promash almost 25 years ago and still use it sometimes. The carbonationcalcultor in it is first rate, for instance. Tried Beersmith for a while nd just couldn't get into to.  Used the Grainfather software and got good resukts, but all the cool kids were raving about Brewfather so I tried that for a while. Didn't care for it and now I'm back on Grainfather. One of the things I like about is that it implements the mIBU formula, which I feel gives me better results.
I heard a talk about mIBU (maybe it was your show I forget) and it sounds awesome. I hope it makes its way to Brewfather. I use a counter flow chiller so it stays hot longer than if I had used an immersion chiller. mIBU takes that into account.

Why not try the Grainfather software instead of Brewfather? You dont have to have a GF to use it. It works with any system.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Nicholas Golden

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2022, 09:06:00 am »

Why not try the Grainfather software instead of Brewfather? You dont have to have a GF to use it. It works with any system.
Mostly because I have 8 months left on my subscription. I’ll play around with GF before it’s up.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2022, 03:50:26 am »
I've been using ProMash for the past 18 years and it still does everything I need and I'm too old to change. 8)
I also use BrunWater for water adjustment.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2022, 09:55:09 am »
Brewer's Friend for me as well.  I started there and never had any reason to change.  Not saying it's the best, because I've never compared it to any other software.  It just works.

I tried a few other online brewing recipe sites prior, but they didn't stick around. I needed a web-based application, and when I started using Brewer's Friend it was the only good one out there. The water calculator works quite well, and automatically ties in to my recipes. If I was starting all over now I may choose some other software, mainly because I hate subscription-based fees, but Brewer's Friend has years worth of my recipes and brewing records and I have zero desire to start over.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2022, 09:32:38 am »
I would try them all and see what you like.  I've been using BeerSmith so long that I'm just used to it. 
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2022, 11:40:09 am »
I've been using ProMash for the past 18 years and it still does everything I need and I'm too old to change. 8)
I also use BrunWater for water adjustment.

Same here. I used ProMash for a long, long time. When support for it ended I started looking around at other software and found nothing I liked better than the out of date ProMash. By the time I started looking again Beersmith was in version 2 which I liked much better than its initial roll out. I downloaded BS2 a few years ago and found I like it as much as ProMash. Brad keeps making improvements and even the water tool which used to get criticized has changed to become the equal of BrunWater imho.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2022, 12:34:43 pm »
I use the water tool in BeerSmith as well. It has improved to the point of a one stop shop for me.

I can input a recipe in just a cpl minutes soup to nuts. Of course, it took A LOT of tinkering and adjusting to get there for me. …but now that it’s set up, it rocks.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2022, 07:05:53 am »
I use Beer Smith desk top version and I like it a lot. Its easy to use once you get the hang of it. Brewers Friend is excellent too. You can try them for free and see which works better for you.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 07:12:33 am by purduekenn »

Offline CFRAZIER77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2022, 07:48:57 am »
I have been using beersmith since version 1.  I have been very happy with it and it makes sense in my head.