Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewery I’m working in…  (Read 1799 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Brewery I’m working in…
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2022, 09:06:12 am »
Crud, all the way in Alabama.  Bit too far for this kid from San Francisco.  Too bad, I would have gladly stopped by for a beer or three.  LOL

Yeah you have plenty of great beers to choose from out on the west coast!

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2022, 02:03:15 pm »
Hey cool! There were a few beers there that weren't mine that I hope you didn't try! Hahaha!  Gonna hopefully get the last 3 bad beers off the wall this week. If I owned the brewery I would have definitely dumped them but it was sorta out of my hands.

We had the Coconut Porter, Warrior Wheat, Sassymouth, and Cthulhu.  I was going to try the English Porter, but they'd just run out.

I have a soft spot for Decatur --- being so often overshadowed by Huntsville --- and I'm glad that XEO has kept going. I heard they were in tough spot a couple of years ago.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2022, 03:42:31 pm »
Hey cool! There were a few beers there that weren't mine that I hope you didn't try! Hahaha!  Gonna hopefully get the last 3 bad beers off the wall this week. If I owned the brewery I would have definitely dumped them but it was sorta out of m  :ohands.

We had the Coconut Porter, Warrior Wheat, Sassymouth, and Cthulhu.  I was going to try the English Porter, but they'd just run out.

I have a soft spot for Decatur --- being so often overshadowed by Huntsville --- and I'm glad that XEO has kept going. I heard they were in tough spot a couple of years ago.

Ahh, well, I only brewed the Warrior Wheat out of those four. I'll be honest, those other beers aren't very good. Hopefully I'll have all the old beers replaced on the board after this week.

But, yeah, the brewery failed a couple years ago and a new owner swooped it up at the last minute. The new owner is super rich. Like, owner giraffes rich. Giraffes. Real ones.

I like the job a lot. Ironically the smallest brewery I have worked in but with by far the biggest paycheck.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 06:36:57 am by majorvices »

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2022, 06:51:41 am »
So is the original owner not involved at all anymore?
The Other Drew

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2022, 06:59:06 am »
So is the original owner not involved at all anymore?

No.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2022, 07:02:23 am »
Also, he hadn't brewed in a  long time so I hadn't tasted any of his exact beers. But the crew he left to brew his recipes were brewing some of the worse commercial beers I have ever tasted. Terrible, awful beers. The ones we left up were left up because we needed to fill out the tap wall but we took off some truly wretched beers. It's surprising that the place managed to stay in business with the horrible beer they were serving.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2022, 08:53:42 pm »

That's too bad.  Good luck to you and the new owners.
The Other Drew

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2022, 03:50:06 pm »
Also, he hadn't brewed in a  long time so I hadn't tasted any of his exact beers. But the crew he left to brew his recipes were brewing some of the worse commercial beers I have ever tasted. Terrible, awful beers. The ones we left up were left up because we needed to fill out the tap wall but we took off some truly wretched beers. It's surprising that the place managed to stay in business with the horrible beer they were serving.

thats brutal, what kind of flaws made them terrible? just wondering

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2022, 04:09:29 pm »

Mostly a lack of knowledge. But they also have an electric brewery and they had a badly scorched element that they continued to use. They were also loading up the water with unnecessary minerals. They didn't know how to use the zham (co2 volume tester), weren't taking pH readings. They weren't using caustic or peracetic acid (using PBW and Sani Clean). The beer was often extremely bitter since they didn't really understand IBUs and were just following recipes. Recipes were unnecessarily complicated and poorly constructed.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 04:11:21 pm by majorvices »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2022, 07:13:58 pm »

Mostly a lack of knowledge. But they also have an electric brewery and they had a badly scorched element that they continued to use. They were also loading up the water with unnecessary minerals. They didn't know how to use the zham (co2 volume tester), weren't taking pH readings. They weren't using caustic or peracetic acid (using PBW and Sani Clean). The beer was often extremely bitter since they didn't really understand IBUs and were just following recipes. Recipes were unnecessarily complicated and poorly constructed.

interesting about caustic or peracetic acid, i googled why and i can imagine that being important on commercial scale and frequency

lol IBUs, i have been wondering and reminiscing lately about how some of the early craft beers i tried back when it was still a challenge to find them were probably riddled with problems that were simply taken as quirks/character to myself and some others back then.