Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dextrin and Carpils  (Read 1570 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Dextrin and Carpils
« on: June 30, 2022, 05:35:08 pm »
Are they basically the same?  Reason I ask is I am thinking of doing a recipe that calls for a half pound of Dextrin malt and I have a half pound of Carapils on hand.  Looking at MoreBeer, they seem to be interchangable, but wanted to see what the experts say.  Also, I have not vacuum sealed my left over grains, but simply folded the bag they came in and used a clip to hold the bag closed.  Would this affect the grain in any way?  If the grain goes stale, then I will toss it and start from new.  I only have about 6 ounces of 20l and 40l, and the carapils, so it is not a huge loss. 

Thanks for looking and any replies.

Dino

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Dextrin and Carpils
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 06:05:45 pm »
Carapils is a dextrin malt.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Dextrin and Carpils
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 06:27:42 pm »
Carapils is a dextrin malt.
+1. It’s Briess’ registered trademark name of its dextrin-style malt
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 06:29:28 pm by BrewBama »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 08:20:59 pm »
Both are equally worthless.   :o   ;D
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 08:35:53 pm »
Yes, they are the same. If not ground they should last for up to a couple of years if stored in cool, dry conditions. Once milled they will go bad faster, but should still be good for months. I use zip-top bags for all my small amounts of specialty malts, but you and I both live in a place with low humidity and generally cool conditions. When I first started brewing I added 8 oz of Carapils to every 5 gallon batch. At some point I stopped doing that and I haven't noticed any problems as a result.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 09:24:07 pm »

Yeah I can't remember the last time I used it because I never felt like I got much out of it. At best used in a large amount it has kind of a crystal 10 effect on a beer. If looking for mouthfeel basically any of the other options are better.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 10:45:16 pm »
Thanks for the info guys.  I am looking at a recipe that uses it, and since I have it, seems a good reason to throw it in there.  Once done, I will explore whether I will need it going forward. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 05:16:26 am »

I used to feel this way but I now disagree. It's just another tool in your toolbox. It works well at providing mouthfeel and head retention, especially for lower ABV beers, that you can't get with mash temp alone. It provides beta-glucans and under modified proteins that you won't get from basemalt or other cara malts.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 07:50:09 am »

To you. Not to all of us.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2022, 07:52:27 am »

I used to feel this way but I now disagree. It's just another tool in your toolbox. It works well at providing mouthfeel and head retention, especially for lower ABV beers, that you can't get with mash temp alone. It provides beta-glucans and under modified proteins that you won't get from basemalt or other cara malts.

Exactly. I stopped using it for years because that was the trendy thing to do.  Then one day I thought "wh at was it I saw in it?" and used a bit in an IPA. I felt like it added some flavor maybe a bit of body. Lately I tried a little in a German pils and feels like it added a depth of flavor.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2022, 08:06:31 am »

Exactly. I stopped using it for years because that was the trendy thing to do.  Then one day I thought "wh at was it I saw in it?" and used a bit in an IPA. I felt like it added some flavor maybe a bit of body. Lately I tried a little in a German pils and feels like it added a depth of flavor.

Because homebrewers were taught that you could adjust these parameters with mash temps. Maltsters usually know more about malt than homebrewers (or pro brewers) do.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2022, 08:12:15 am »
Ron Pattinson's blog this morning is about an advert he found from 1898 in a trade publication describing the use of malto-dexitrin describing it's best use as giving beer "fullness and adding stability".
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2022, 09:05:29 am »

Because homebrewers were taught that you could adjust these parameters with mash temps. Maltsters usually know more about malt than homebrewers (or pro brewers) do.

Agreed, if that was all I was using it for. I swear there's a flavor contribution. Call me crazy.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2022, 04:24:39 pm »
Cool.  Thanks guys.  So it looks like they are the same, so what I have will be used as long as it isn't stale. 

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2022, 05:42:41 pm »

That's a matter of opinion Dave :) Many would argue the point.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV