Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop combinations that emulate fruit flavors (link)  (Read 904 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Hop combinations that emulate fruit flavors (link)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 06:28:33 am »
I’m surprised they didn’t include Apollo.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 08:41:07 am »
Mosaic is more tropical than blue berry to me. That was surprising. Orange juice I'm on board with though

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 09:07:35 am »
Try Cryopop
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 09:21:32 pm »
Mosaic is more tropical than blue berry to me. That was surprising. Orange juice I'm on board with though

I find mosaic is the most temperamental hop out there. Sometimes it comes across heavy on blueberry, sometimes very tropical, other times woodsy and dank.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 07:55:18 am »

I find mosaic is the most temperamental hop out there. Sometimes it comes across heavy on blueberry, sometimes very tropical, other times woodsy and dank.

Like any hop. Terroir has an effect on hop character,  and not all of the same type of hop are grown in the same place.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022, 10:21:54 am »

Like any hop. Terroir has an effect on hop character,  and not all of the same type of hop are grown in the same place.
Not just terroir, but seasonal climate variations and harvest timing/conditions are huge factors as well. Which is why articles like these are fun thought experiments at best, but when two batches of the same hop can give drastically different results, you only compound the problem by trying to combine multiple varieties to get a specific result. This is a helpful starting point if you're playing around with different combos, but I wouldn't set my expectations too high for getting the exact result you're looking for.

FWIW, Cascade and Nelson Sauvin give far more grapefruit than Simcoe or Amarillo in my experience. You get a hint of lime from Motueka, but it isn't a super potent hop in general. Vic Secret is my go-to for passionfruit. Citra is usually mango to me, but it can be quite lemony sometimes. You can get red plums from Caliente (not sure if it's still around at all, I haven't bought it in a few years). And Simcoe is usually pine-citrus like fresh spruce tips to me, but sometimes it is straight-up OJ.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer