Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blonde Ale similar to 805  (Read 2436 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Blonde Ale similar to 805
« on: July 01, 2022, 12:57:20 am »
I am trying to branch out and want to try and get something similar to Firestone Walker 805.  This is what I have found so far:

9lbs of US 2 row

.75lbs of Torrified Wheat

.75lbs Honey Malt

1 oz williamette hops at 60 mins

2 oz williamette hops at 5 mins

White Labs WLP002 yeast

Mash 3.6 gallons of water at 166 to get to 154F when grains are added

60 min mash

Sparge to get 6 gallons (Might go a bit higher here to account for boil off)

Ferment at 68F until final gravity is reached

Thoughts? 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Blonde Ale similar to 805
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 06:53:27 am »
I've only had it a couple of times, and enjoyed it. Not sure if Willamette is the only hop.

You need to brew thiis recipe and try it side by side with 805.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 12:19:22 pm »
Looks like you’re extremely close based on this:
https://byo.com/wp-content/uploads/woocommerce_uploads/Firestone-Walker-clones-3.pdf

I can only assume you’ve see it already?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 04:07:51 pm »
Looks like you’re extremely close based on this:
https://byo.com/wp-content/uploads/woocommerce_uploads/Firestone-Walker-clones-3.pdf

I can only assume you’ve see it already?

Yup, that is what I used.  Well, a combination of that one and Brewgr recipe that I saw.  The link you provided gave me the actual brew schedule, mash temp and all that.  So, yea, I am kinda merging that one with the Brewgr recipe.  I am going to give it a shot.  My son likes 805 and I want to get a few styles to choose from. 

Thanks for the link.  Your link is much easier to read.  LOL. 

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 09:31:27 am »
I will be watching this discussion. My wife loves 805. Keep us posted.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline BrewBama

Blonde Ale similar to 805
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 08:13:00 pm »
I like the fact that BYO recommends only CaCl in RO water!

“Firestone Walker runs all their brewing liquor through a reverse osmosis system. They then add back calcium to reach 100 ppm for yeast health and to avoid beer scale formation on equipment. This is done with calcium chloride for malt-focused beers and with equal parts calcium chloride and calcium sulfate for hop-focused beers.”
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 08:15:35 pm by BrewBama »

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 10:02:15 pm »
I will be watching this discussion. My wife loves 805. Keep us posted.

I sure will.  I should have the ingredients next week sometime, and if all goes well, i will brew it then as well. 

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2022, 09:41:31 am »
The 805 is one beer where I think I can taste the low hot side oxygen effect. The malt flavor is exceptional in that beer.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2022, 02:17:14 pm »
Quick update, I was going to brew it yesterday but got a late jump and decided to scrap it.  Next weekend will be the time I think.  I will keep you all posted.  My only problem is the yeast has been sitting in my fridge for a few months now, so I might go buy a fresh pack or try us05 as I have a packet of that already.  We will see. 

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2022, 04:50:34 pm »
Quick update, I was going to brew it yesterday but got a late jump and decided to scrap it.  Next weekend will be the time I think.  I will keep you all posted.  My only problem is the yeast has been sitting in my fridge for a few months now, so I might go buy a fresh pack or try us05 as I have a packet of that already.  We will see.
You could also make a starter. Try the Shaken not stirred method. That would revive your yeast without buying a new pack.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 08:57:16 am »
You could also make a starter. Try the Shaken not stirred method. That would revive your yeast without buying a new pack.

I was thinking of doing that Thursday and brewing Friday.  That way, if the yeast does not ferment then I still have Friday and Saturday to go get some more, or use the S05 I already have.  It would be my second attempt at a starter, so not sure how it will turn out.  Last one I don't think worked out to well. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2022, 12:01:42 pm »

I was thinking of doing that Thursday and brewing Friday.  That way, if the yeast does not ferment then I still have Friday and Saturday to go get some more, or use the S05 I already have.  It would be my second attempt at a starter, so not sure how it will turn out.  Last one I don't think worked out to well.

Didn't work out well in what way? SNS is so easy we should be able to help you troubleshoot
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2022, 10:04:34 pm »

Didn't work out well in what way? SNS is so easy we should be able to help you troubleshoot

I did not see a lot of activity in the container when I did it.  I probably should have taken a reading but I didn't.  I think I used 100 grams of DME and a liter of water.  Boiled the wort for about 5 mins or so if I remember correctly then cooled and pitched the yeast.  The smack pack the yeast was in was pretty inflated and I had to cut open the package to get to the inner bag and cut it open.  I sanitized everything, but I am thinking the yeast had issues before it even went into the cooled wort.  I am giving liquid one more go, but my preference at this point is going to be dry.  It is just easier for me to deal with as I get the rest of my setup worked out. 

My plan is to put the package of yeast on the counter to get it closer to room temp.  100 grams of DME to a liter of water.  Boil, cool and then put it into a sanitized gallon jug, wrap the top with foil and shake the crap outtta it.  LOL.  This will be done Thursday afternoon, so that Friday when I am ready to brew the yeast will hopefully be off and running.  If not, I have a pack of S05 at the ready.  Either way, it is time for another try and brewing and see how it goes. 

thank you for your reply, and any info you can add is always appreciated.  RR

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2022, 08:38:22 am »

I did not see a lot of activity in the container when I did it.  I probably should have taken a reading but I didn't.  I think I used 100 grams of DME and a liter of water.  Boiled the wort for about 5 mins or so if I remember correctly then cooled and pitched the yeast.  The smack pack the yeast was in was pretty inflated and I had to cut open the package to get to the inner bag and cut it open.  I sanitized everything, but I am thinking the yeast had issues before it even went into the cooled wort.  I am giving liquid one more go, but my preference at this point is going to be dry.  It is just easier for me to deal with as I get the rest of my setup worked out. 

My plan is to put the package of yeast on the counter to get it closer to room temp.  100 grams of DME to a liter of water.  Boil, cool and then put it into a sanitized gallon jug, wrap the top with foil and shake the crap outtta it.  LOL.  This will be done Thursday afternoon, so that Friday when I am ready to brew the yeast will hopefully be off and running.  If not, I have a pack of S05 at the ready.  Either way, it is time for another try and brewing and see how it goes. 

Instead of measuring FG of starters, what I do is pour a small amount into a shot glass and taste it. If it’s not sweet it fermented.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2022, 09:19:27 am »

100g of DME is a bit too much. Try 75. Don't even worry about the inner pouch. It's nutrient and youre supposed to pop it when you smack the pack. It if doesn't pop, don't sweat it. You don't need to cut it open.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell