Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Amber Ales and Crystal/Caramel Malt  (Read 3154 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Amber Ales and Crystal/Caramel Malt
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2023, 11:36:03 am »
In my quest to brew smaller beers, I have been seeking out recipes.

I ran across a 60/- from MoreBeer that includes 15% medium crystal and 7.5% dark crystal. 20+% C malt.

I think I am going to brew it to see how it turns out.

That beer is only 1.032-1.035 OG, and it's only 1.5 lb of C-malt for a 5 gallon batch. Using percentage of the grist as a rule of thumb for an upper limit on Cara malt usage becomes a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison for low gravity beers rather than a typical beer in the 1.050-1.060 range. I bet that recipe makes a tasty beer. As a matter of fact, I might brew a take on it when my ale tap is next in the pipeline.
I think that’s an important point. I get fixated on percentages a lot, but for some malts the total amount in a recipe is more important.

I reread something today that made me think of this concept.

In Brewing Classic Style, JP and JZ when discussing higher vs lower ABV beers say this: “…there is no need to change the specialty grain amounts, unless you are making a larger or smaller volume of beer.”  They discuss only adjusting base malts.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2023, 11:55:58 am »
In my quest to brew smaller beers, I have been seeking out recipes.

I ran across a 60/- from MoreBeer that includes 15% medium crystal and 7.5% dark crystal. 20+% C malt.

I think I am going to brew it to see how it turns out.

That beer is only 1.032-1.035 OG, and it's only 1.5 lb of C-malt for a 5 gallon batch. Using percentage of the grist as a rule of thumb for an upper limit on Cara malt usage becomes a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison for low gravity beers rather than a typical beer in the 1.050-1.060 range. I bet that recipe makes a tasty beer. As a matter of fact, I might brew a take on it when my ale tap is next in the pipeline.
I think that’s an important point. I get fixated on percentages a lot, but for some malts the total amount in a recipe is more important.

I reread something today that made me think of this concept.

In Brewing Classic Style, JP and JZ when discussing higher vs lower ABV beers say this: “…there is no need to change the specialty grain amounts, unless you are making a larger or smaller volume of beer.”  They discuss only adjusting base malts.

My experience totally disagrees with that. When I do it that way I get a different beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

Amber Ales and Crystal/Caramel Malt
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2023, 03:38:02 pm »
Maybe they’ll write an update based on your experience.

Edit: I think it’s important to note that the BCS recipes are written for specialty grains to be steeped for 30 minutes.  These recipes could produce a significant difference if mashing the entire grain bill vs mashing the base malts and steeping the specialty malts. This could account for the reason some say the BCS recipes don’t work for them.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 07:52:40 am by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2023, 08:05:32 pm »
So, are you going to brew the 60/- beer from morebeer?

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2023, 05:40:00 am »
I think so.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2023, 09:46:32 am »

Edit: I think it’s important to note that the BCS recipes are written for specialty grains to be steeped for 30 minutes.  These recipes could produce a significant difference if mashing the entire grain bill vs mashing the base malts and steeping the specialty malts. This could account for the reason some say the BCS recipes don’t work for them.

Can't imagine why they'd do that any more than I'd update one of my books if someone disagreed with me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell