Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blonde Ale similar to 805  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Blonde Ale similar to 805
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2022, 10:18:01 pm »
Quick update, I was going to brew it yesterday but got a late jump and decided to scrap it.  Next weekend will be the time I think.  I will keep you all posted.  My only problem is the yeast has been sitting in my fridge for a few months now, so I might go buy a fresh pack or try us05 as I have a packet of that already.  We will see.
You could also make a starter. Try the Shaken not stirred method. That would revive your yeast without buying a new pack.

I was thinking of doing that Thursday and brewing Friday.  That way, if the yeast does not ferment then I still have Friday and Saturday to go get some more, or use the S05 I already have.  It would be my second attempt at a starter, so not sure how it will turn out.  Last one I don't think worked out to well.

Didn't work out well in what way? SNS is so easy we should be able to help you troubleshoot

I did not see a lot of activity in the container when I did it.  I probably should have taken a reading but I didn't.  I think I used 100 grams of DME and a liter of water.  Boiled the wort for about 5 mins or so if I remember correctly then cooled and pitched the yeast.  The smack pack the yeast was in was pretty inflated and I had to cut open the package to get to the inner bag and cut it open.  I sanitized everything, but I am thinking the yeast had issues before it even went into the cooled wort.  I am giving liquid one more go, but my preference at this point is going to be dry.  It is just easier for me to deal with as I get the rest of my setup worked out. 

My plan is to put the package of yeast on the counter to get it closer to room temp.  100 grams of DME to a liter of water.  Boil, cool and then put it into a sanitized gallon jug, wrap the top with foil and shake the crap outtta it.  LOL.  This will be done Thursday afternoon, so that Friday when I am ready to brew the yeast will hopefully be off and running.  If not, I have a pack of S05 at the ready.  Either way, it is time for another try and brewing and see how it goes. 

thank you for your reply, and any info you can add is always appreciated.  RR

100g of DME is a bit too much. Try 75. Don't even worry about the inner pouch. It's nutrient and youre supposed to pop it when you smack the pack. It if doesn't pop, don't sweat it. You don't need to cut it open.

The original instructions from Saccharomyces say to use 100g of DME in a little bit more than 1 liter of water, aiming for 1 liter after boiling.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Re: Blonde Ale similar to 805
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2023, 07:33:05 am »
Crud, I was just going thru some old topics and realised I had not put the results of this brew day.  So, here goes.  I missed on most of the numbers if I remember correctly, the paper I put my notes on is filed in my binder, but it didn't taste too bad.  Was very close to the 805 I was trying to mirror.  It was a bit darker and had a little bit of a different finish to it, but it was enjoyable.   My brother is more a ale and wheat beer kinda drinker and he really liked it.  He is going to be brewing it for himself in the near future.  So, if you are an 805 fan, it was pretty close.  Not exact, but close enough for me.  Also, two of my workmates liked too.  So, it will be on my rotation I think.  Rock On!!!!!