Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is it really OK to not rinse OneStep out of bottles?  (Read 12090 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Is it really OK to not rinse OneStep out of bottles?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 11:53:59 am »
Yes, leaving the starsan bubbles in the bottles is fine.  There is some question I guess whether those bubbles contain enough oxygen to be detrimental to the beer (Kaiser).  But that's what I usually do.

I did try baking some bottles though recently for this reason.  I haven't used them yet but it was pretty painless and I may do that again in the future.

Baked bottles a couple times. Both times at least two bottles broke in the oven. Maybe I was putting too many in there (filled it up). The loss of bottles is no biggie, but I hate cleaning up broken glass. The good thing is that it absolutely works to sterilize the bottles.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 12:04:40 pm »
Yes, leaving the starsan bubbles in the bottles is fine.  There is some question I guess whether those bubbles contain enough oxygen to be detrimental to the beer (Kaiser).  But that's what I usually do.

I did try baking some bottles though recently for this reason.  I haven't used them yet but it was pretty painless and I may do that again in the future.

Baked bottles a couple times. Both times at least two bottles broke in the oven. Maybe I was putting too many in there (filled it up). The loss of bottles is no biggie, but I hate cleaning up broken glass. The good thing is that it absolutely works to sterilize the bottles.
You put them in a cold oven and then heat them up, right?  Cheap bottles  . . .  ::)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 12:29:39 pm »
Yup and warmed up slow too.

You're right. Cheap bottles.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 12:45:35 pm »
I put two cases in the oven after it had been pre-heated to 250 and let them go about 45 minutes.  I didn't have any casualties.

Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 05:43:02 pm »

Sweet thanks. That will save me tons and tons of time.

My dishwasher has a "sani-rinse" setting that heats the water to near boiling. I have started putting the bottles in there with no soap and letting it run. Seems to work okay.
Never trust a skinny chef and never trust a sober brewer.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 06:11:41 pm »
My dishwasher has a "sani-rinse" setting that heats the water to near boiling. I have started putting the bottles in there with no soap and letting it run. Seems to work okay.

Yeah, that'll work fine for sanitizing as well.  Just make sure you're not using Jet Dry.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 06:19:35 pm »
Thanks Jeff for the link to Rick Thiener's comments about Straight A and One Step.

The irony is that Rick still [correctly] advocates two steps:  Cleaning and then sanitizing.

Hydrogen Peroxide is often used to clean and sanitize contact lenses (just don't get hydrogen peroxide in your eye without the solution being neutralized first!) as well as for cleaning and chemically sanitizing/sterilizing medical instruments in the office.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 08:25:33 pm »
Thanks Jeff for the link to Rick Thiener's comments about Straight A and One Step.

The irony is that Rick still [correctly] advocates two steps:  Cleaning and then sanitizing.

Hydrogen Peroxide is often used to clean and sanitize contact lenses (just don't get hydrogen peroxide in your eye without the solution being neutralized first!) as well as for cleaning and chemically sanitizing/sterilizing medical instruments in the office.

I thought that had to be from a long long time ago, but what, it was 2008 when it was on the HBD!  Well maybe it was a long time ago.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!