Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coriander in a wit  (Read 1933 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Coriander in a wit
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2022, 08:47:17 pm »
i used to use relatively freshly korean grown tangerines/mandarin peel in witbiers over there and i remember really enjoying a good solid, problem-free tangerine taste.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2022, 08:28:52 am »
The newest post in Brulosophy is a comparison of sweet orange peel vs bitter orange peel in a wit. Might be worth reading.
https://brulosophy.com/

That's like comparing apples and oranges.  They serve totally different purposes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2022, 08:56:57 am »
The newest post in Brulosophy is a comparison of sweet orange peel vs bitter orange peel in a wit. Might be worth reading.

That's like comparing apples and oranges.  They serve totally different purposes.

In the article the tasters couldn't tell the difference. Of course if you read Brulosophy enough you realize that their tasters almost never can tell the difference between the beers they are testing. The conclusion seems to be that nothing matters...
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline wayne1

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2022, 09:00:28 am »
I toast the coriander and then finely grind it.

The original Blue Moon used preground coriander and valencia orange peel.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2022, 09:23:48 am »
In the article the tasters couldn't tell the difference. Of course if you read Brulosophy enough you realize that their tasters almost never can tell the difference between the beers they are testing. The conclusion seems to be that nothing matters...

When your standard is twenty randos in a garage, I don't care how much you drape it in statistical terminology it's still twenty randos in a garage. I'd be surprised if even half of the people in that garage knew what bitter orange tasted like or what's different about it from sweet orange.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2022, 09:53:40 am »

Did they use the peels for bittering, the way bitter orange peel is supposed to be used? Or did they use them for flavor, the way sweet orange peel is usually used? Either way, one of them was used incorrectly.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2022, 02:33:45 pm »
This is timely, as I'm brewing my first witbier on Saturday.  Do people toast the coriander?  I see people who cook with it do it sometimes.

Nope, I never have.  I've also used chamomile in a wit, as Celis allegedly did.

I just had a guy ask me if I could brew him a Celis batch. I’ve had a recipe forever and it doesn’t have the chamomile. Is there a round about amount per gallon/batch for chamomile and coriander?  I think mine was 8g for a 5g batch for coriander.
Jeff B

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2022, 02:37:35 pm »
For the spicing, I used this recipe.  https://web.brewfather.app/share/WNkHWRECSXwWZkB4r1kS5zDBOforyK

1.05 oz — Coriander Seed (crushed) — Boil — 5 min

0.17 oz — Dried Chamomile Flowers — Boil — 5 min

2.97 oz — Orange Peel, Sweet (FRESH ONLY) — Boil — 5 min

0.06 oz — Paradise Seed (Ground) — Boil — 5 min
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2022, 03:07:29 pm »
Thanks for that
Jeff B

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2022, 11:41:45 am »
The type of coriander makes a big difference.  The smooth-coated, Indian coriander comes across as more lemony, while the crinkly-coated, Moroccan coriander has black pepper notes.  I find that the Indian coriander and bitter orange peel put the citrusy flavor and aroma over the top for me.  I like the contrast from the black pepper and citrus using the other coriander. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2022, 07:34:31 pm »
I've lightly cracked/crushed the coriander and simply "tossed in" the coriander as is. IMO, the cracked/crushed version of the beer was more pleasing to me. I realize this is NOT scientific at all and maybe I was influenced thinking the wit "should taste" better due the cracked/crushed coriander.

Interesting experiment for someone to undertake. Taste test. Cracked/crushed coriander vs uncracked/uncrushed.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2022, 07:51:19 pm »
1 tsp ground packaged store bought coriander has worked well for me. Probably from Detroit.  Gasp…
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 07:57:32 pm by Iliff Ave »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale