Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Irish Red Ale  (Read 3963 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Irish Red Ale
« on: July 05, 2022, 03:36:51 pm »
Found a nice Irish Red at McGuire's Irish Pub, in Pensacola. It won a Silver at the GABF.
Now we wish to brew one.
Can anyone provide a link, or possible recipe suggestions?
This will be a first attempt for us.
Thanks!

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
Re: Irish Red Ale
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 03:43:26 pm »
Take a tour, see if they will give you some hints.

Stop in for a tour of the brewery during your next visit. Our brewmasters will gladly show you around and answer your questions. If you are a homebrewer, you may take some of our yeast with you to try on your next batch. You can reach our brewmasters by phone at 850-433-6789 in Pensacola and 850-650-0000 in Destin.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 03:54:00 pm »
I'll post an article from Martyn Cornell about how it's a totally invented style. Started off as a French beer, and through the years there have been many different interpretations of it. Who knows what the one you tasted was based on.

https://zythophile.co.uk/2021/08/25/how-one-irishmans-ginger-beard-helped-launch-an-entirely-bogus-style-of-beer/
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 03:59:46 pm »

Stop in for a tour of the brewery during your next visit. Our brewmasters will gladly show you around and answer your questions. If you are a homebrewer, you may take some of our yeast with you to try on your next batch. You can reach our brewmasters by phone at 850-433-6789 in Pensacola and 850-650-0000 in Destin.
Nice. I’ve been to the Destin McGuire’s many times. I like the pizza place out front too.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 06:48:00 pm »
We went with friends who live close by. The Pub is way cool, a local historical landmark.

I'll ask Dave to ask around the next time he goes, as they go 2 or 3 times a month.

Brought home two 6 packs of that red stuff!

Stopped in the Fairhope Brewery (Fairhope, AL) for some samples. When the bartender learned that we are brewers, the beer was on-the-house. He said..."We take care of our own!"
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 06:50:14 pm by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 06:51:26 pm »

That is so cool!
Thanks!

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 07:48:58 pm »
I'll post an article from Martyn Cornell about how it's a totally invented style. Started off as a French beer, and through the years there have been many different interpretations of it. Who knows what the one you tasted was based on.

https://zythophile.co.uk/2021/08/25/how-one-irishmans-ginger-beard-helped-launch-an-entirely-bogus-style-of-beer/

What an amazing story! The Colorado connection is interesting.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 09:55:54 am »
At some point, the "bogus style" becomes "real", despite its creation as a marketing gimick;  I can't help but think of the Cascadian Dark IPA, the crazy hazies and the many sour beer trends that have evolved over time - they were different enough to be recognized as styles, but many were created with an element of gimmickry that in part exhibits marketing influence to create demand.  Many brewpubs tweak a style to create something that falls between existing styles, technically, but call it something different from either style it splits.  A well made beer of any style or of no particular style can be enjoyable.  The history of this one shows how a color can dominate the creation of a new style.  Interesting, indeed.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2022, 10:24:12 am »
I played with red ales and red lagers for a long time, trying to get the color right.  Getting "red" is not easy.  What I learned was that Special B can help if you like the flavor of it.  It's got a lot of red in it.  Dark British crystal (150L or more) also has a lot of red in it.  Many crystal malts will get you "amber" or "dark amber" but to get "red" I found that a bit of something like Carafa III or Midnight Wheat is a big help.  Use the crystal to get the amber and then the dark malts to push it towards red.  Clarity helps too because a lot of the red you get is from the light bouncing off the glass.  Here are a couple where the color seemed to cooperate...

Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 10:51:35 am »
I played with red ales and red lagers for a long time, trying to get the color right.  Getting "red" is not easy.  What I learned was that Special B can help if you like the flavor of it.  It's got a lot of red in it.  Dark British crystal (150L or more) also has a lot of red in it.  Many crystal malts will get you "amber" or "dark amber" but to get "red" I found that a bit of something like Carafa III or Midnight Wheat is a big help.  Use the crystal to get the amber and then the dark malts to push it towards red.  Clarity helps too because a lot of the red you get is from the light bouncing off the glass.  Here are a couple where the color seemed to cooperate...

beautiful red beers, and i agree about those crystals and carafa III (havent used midnight wheat).

but i kept wanting to have a list of the tints of dark malts, because i know for certain black malt tints brown, while carafa III and RB tints red. there are malts that influence an orange colour for sure too, munich and vienna in certain dosages. i  got an orangey kind of colour when i used 1/2lb of brown malt in a beer once, but could have been other factors.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2022, 12:47:56 pm »
Those pictures are beautiful!

How about Weyermann Carared malt? For getting that desired "red" color?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2022, 12:49:11 pm »
Those pictures are beautiful!

How about Weyermann Carared malt? For getting that desired "red" color?

It worked pretty well for the couple times I used it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2022, 02:23:15 pm »
Also consider using Red-X.  I haven't used it, but a guy in my club swears by it and wins awards using it for certain styles.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2022, 03:18:57 pm »
Red-X is very nice and makes a malty, reddish beer.  I haven't used it in awhile though.  I feel like you would need A LOT of Carared to get the red color you want.  We also have to remember the overall flavor of the beer and personally I would rather use less crystals and dark malts in general.  Also, I'm referring to "red beers" in general, not necessarily an Irish Red Ale.  I could see using UK hops and the 1084 Irish yeast or something similar and then putting your grain bill together which for me would probably be Pale Ale Malt, a combination of Special B + some dark British Crystal like Simpsons, Bairds or Fawcett (maybe 2.5% each?) and then a smidge of Carafa III to push it further towards the red color.  Many of my attempts were for a red lager so there was probably some Vienna and/or Munich in mine too.  I made A LOT of amber-colored beers attempting to get the right red color.  In the top picture I posted, imagine adding small amounts of sinamar or imagine using another half ounce of Carafa III or MW in the beer.  It would be pushed further towards that dark red color. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 03:24:34 pm by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2022, 04:52:16 pm »
For color reference, this is a 100% RedX ale

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa