Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malted corn  (Read 3289 times)

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
Malted corn
« on: July 06, 2022, 02:58:17 pm »
Any experience with malted corn and recommendation on a source? Looking to try it in place of the corn grits in an American bock recipe.

Does malted corn require a cereal mash or can it be used like flaked corn. I found corn grits to have a superior flavor to flaked but the extra cereal mash is daunting. Would like to skip it if possible.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Malted corn
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 04:39:42 pm »
Look at Sugar Creek malt in Indiana.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 05:37:31 pm »

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 05:59:27 pm »
Here’s another:

https://www.deercreekmalt.com/product/pale-corn-malt/

Does not require gelatinization. Add it right to the mash.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 06:07:39 pm »
I find cereal mashing pretty easy and not too time consuming.  Start a normal mash at a beta rest and at the same time start a cereal mash with the adjunct and some malt, rest for 20 minutes, boil 15 minutes and then add it to the main mash to bring it to alpha temps.
It’s not too hard, it smells great, it improves extraction and it doesn’t take that much longer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 11:36:52 am »
Denny and Drew mentioned using it in a Cream Ale, I believe.  Denny can chime in - I don't recall any cereal mashing, I think it is mashed like any barley malt....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 12:10:08 pm »
Denny and Drew mentioned using it in a Cream Ale, I believe.  Denny can chime in - I don't recall any cereal mashing, I think it is mashed like any barley malt....

Yeah, it's malted, right?  So no cereal mashing necessary.  Drew used it to make a cream ale and it was...interesting.  I don't know if I'd recognize it as a cream ale. Very unique flavor, unlike any corn beer I've ever tasted. My takeaway was don't think you can just sub it for corn, because it's so different.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 03:57:40 pm »
Supposedly, you can make a 100% malted corn beer -- no spit needed.

https://vinepair.com/articles/chicha-ancient-history-spit-malt/
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 07:45:06 pm »
Supposedly, you can make a 100% malted corn beer -- no spit needed.

https://vinepair.com/articles/chicha-ancient-history-spit-malt/

Listen to Stan Heironomus's presentation on native beers from this years HomebrewCon. Evidence of malting carn has been found.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 06:32:52 am »

Yeah, it's malted, right?  So no cereal mashing necessary.  Drew used it to make a cream ale and it was...interesting.  I don't know if I'd recognize it as a cream ale. Very unique flavor, unlike any corn beer I've ever tasted. My takeaway was don't think you can just sub it for corn, because it's so different.

I would definitely imagine the malting would change its character. Seems like it would make an interesting candidate for whiskey distillation. That said, usually when there is an uncommon brewing ingredient like this there is a reason why it hasn't become popular. IOW it has been tried before.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2022, 11:50:33 am »

I would definitely imagine the malting would change its character. Seems like it would make an interesting candidate for whiskey distillation. That said, usually when there is an uncommon brewing ingredient like this there is a reason why it hasn't become popular. IOW it has been tried before.
I wonder if this is why there have been reports of malted Bloody Butcher tasting different than flaked corn, rather than primarily being due to the varietal. I have a few pounds of malted BB that I'll be using soon, so I'll be interested to see what the flavor difference turns out to be.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2022, 03:31:21 pm »

I wonder if this is why there have been reports of malted Bloody Butcher tasting different than flaked corn, rather than primarily being due to the varietal. I have a few pounds of malted BB that I'll be using soon, so I'll be interested to see what the flavor difference turns out to be.

That's exactly my thinking.  Malted produces a malted flavor, right?  Think of barley malt as opposed to flaked barley.  Very different, just like BB is very different than flaked corn.  That's why I think it isn't a replacement for flaked corn, but needs its own recipes.  The cream ale Drew made with it tasted nothing like a cream ale.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2022, 05:41:34 pm »

That's exactly my thinking.  Malted produces a malted flavor, right?  Think of barley malt as opposed to flaked barley.  Very different, just like BB is very different than flaked corn.  That's why I think it isn't a replacement for flaked corn, but needs its own recipes.  The cream ale Drew made with it tasted nothing like a cream ale.

And of course Bloody Butcher may not taste the same as another maltster Corn Malt, and Corn Malt shouldn’t be assumed to be a 1:1 replacement for flaked corn, nor can we assume it plays the same with other malts and adjuncts and hops…

Probably a good start would be 10% to see what it brings, then adjust the dial as needed.  There certainly can be a place in the homebrewer’s brewhouse for the clean sweetness of malted corn if one is willing to tackle the learning curve.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2022, 05:55:50 pm »
Probably a good start would be 10% to see what it brings, then adjust the dial as needed.

Or a very small batch with a very high percentage --- to really key in on that ingredient.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2022, 07:22:04 pm »
Thanks for the info! I really wanted to try it but sounds like I should steer clear for my brewing goals as far as corn is concerned
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale