Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: List of Most Influential Science Fiction Books  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
Re: List of Most Influential Science Fiction Books
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2022, 09:39:22 am »
Finally read "A Memory Called Empire" and liked it.

I plan to check "The Three Body Problem" out of the Library and also on my list is to get "American Gods".

A while back when I made more time for recreational reading, I was trying to decide whether to buy American gods or Anansi Boys, I opted for the latter. After later seeing the promos for the "Gods" TV series I think I got the better of the two. Anansi reminded me a lot of Satanic Verses, but much shorter and much more digestible, just about as weird though.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2022, 01:42:42 pm »
Someone asked Neil Gaimon if the upcoming show based on Anasi Boys would better than American Gods. He replied something along the lines of "yes it will be I'm producing it". He has been said to be disappointed with the American Gods show.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2022, 05:13:55 pm »
   The Gods promos were enough to keep me from watching the show, I might still read the book someday.
   As for the list, any list of top SF books that doesn't include anything from Niven & Pournelle or Zelazny but does include Starship Troopers [not one of Heinlein's best IMO] isn't much of a list in my mind.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 05:23:14 pm by Visor »
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2022, 08:16:19 pm »
   The Gods promos were enough to keep me from watching the show, I might still read the book someday.
   As for the list, any list of top SF books that doesn't include anything from Niven & Pournelle or Zelazny but does include Starship Troopers [not one of Heinlein's best IMO] isn't much of a list in my mind.
So many good ones didn’t  make the list. It is a list, so it is flawed of course. It did get me to read a couple of new books, so it succeeded  on that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2022, 02:50:14 pm »
All "best of" lists are inherently flawed, but like Jeff, I've gobbled down a few. (The Murderbot Diaries are fun)

And I suspect for Heinlein - they used Starship, not because it's one of his best, but because of the long reaching impact it's had. (Also, man, I re-read F-451 the other year and it's even more prescient now in an age of youtube, podcasts and Tiktoks)

So many good ones didn’t  make the list. It is a list, so it is flawed of course. It did get me to read a couple of new books, so it succeeded  on that.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2022, 04:21:26 pm »
The Three Body Problem is the best Science Fiction I have read in decades. Best book I've read in a number of years. Will find the sequels at the Library.

Just finished the sequal "The Dark Forest", and am impressed. The plot takes many twists after a slow start, 1/3 of the way in it shifted gears.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2022, 09:35:17 pm »
Just finished the Three Body Problem. The interlacing with Chinese history was really interesting, and it was a very compelling read. It reminded me of what Asimov wrote of his earlier Foundation novels whenever his publisher made him write a new one-there was no action and nothing happening but I couldn't put it down. It's the weirdest feeling because I enjoyed it, devoured it over the past few days, but it didn't really click with me. The Binti trilogy was great, and I'm finally getting to The Left Hand of Darkness. Hopefully I have enough time to read a few more from this list before my book backlog gets too long.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2022, 07:22:06 am »
Just finished the Three Body Problem. The interlacing with Chinese history was really interesting, and it was a very compelling read. It reminded me of what Asimov wrote of his earlier Foundation novels whenever his publisher made him write a new one-there was no action and nothing happening but I couldn't put it down. It's the weirdest feeling because I enjoyed it, devoured it over the past few days, but it didn't really click with me. The Binti trilogy was great, and I'm finally getting to The Left Hand of Darkness. Hopefully I have enough time to read a few more from this list before my book backlog gets too long.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I quite enjoyed Three Body Problem, and finished out the series. Probably my favorite thing was its twist on so many "first contact" tropes. Ken Liu (who translated Three Body Problem) also was translator for an anthology of contemporary Chinese sci-fi, "Broken Stars." Highly recommended, if you are interested in exploring more sci-fi outside the usual authors. Not all of the stories completely clicked with me (but is that true of any anthology?), but many of them were really great.

The Binti trilogy is on my list, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Back when LeGuin was alive, you could drop her a letter with a self-addressed-stamped-envelope and she would send back a signed bookplate to the person of your choice. So, my wife got a personalized, signed copy of Left Hand of Darkness for Christmas a few years back.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2022, 06:55:19 pm »

Back when LeGuin was alive, you could drop her a letter with a self-addressed-stamped-envelope and she would send back a signed bookplate to the person of your choice. So, my wife got a personalized, signed copy of Left Hand of Darkness for Christmas a few years back.

How cool is that? She was a fantastic writer. Wish I would have taken advantage of that.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2022, 07:41:10 pm »
Two series I have liked recently that I don’t see here:

Expeditionary Force by Craig Alanson
Bobiverse by Dennis E Taylor

* Alanson is milking Expeditionary Force. So, it was great for the first 8-10 books. After that, the books are still good but I got bored.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2022, 11:31:33 pm »

the Bobiverse is quite fun.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2022, 07:45:13 am »

the Bobiverse is quite fun.
Expeditionary Force has a character called Skippy the Magnificent who is hilarious. It’s a great military sci-fi that had me in stitches a lot.