Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: First try and building my own recipe  (Read 4509 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: First try and building my own recipe
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2022, 09:46:12 am »
Tasting day.  I had two extra bottles that did not fit in the 12 pack containers I used to store the bottles, so after about a week in the closet they went in the fridge to get cold.  Countdown to tasting in 3 mins.  LOL

A little early, no?  I’d be surprised if they were properly carbonated after only a week.
I was always puzzled by this. If primary fermentation is complete within 3-5 days, why does it take 2 weeks to fully carbonate in bottles? The answer, as best I can tell, is that the secondary fermentation in the bottles is done within a few days, just like the primary fermentation, but that the quality of carbonation changes. You can tap a keg after a week and the beer is carbonated but the foam is coarse. After 2 weeks the foam is finer. The same thing happens with bottles. You might be able to chill them down after a week, but is still takes another week for the carbonation to develop.

Yiyre talking about the time it takes for the CO2 to go into solution in the beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Re: First try and building my own recipe
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2022, 01:53:31 pm »
Tasting day.  I had two extra bottles that did not fit in the 12 pack containers I used to store the bottles, so after about a week in the closet they went in the fridge to get cold.  Countdown to tasting in 3 mins.  LOL

A little early, no?  I’d be surprised if they were properly carbonated after only a week.
I wasn't sure, and I had two extra bottles sitting so I figured why not.  The carb level was excellent, so whatever happened in the bottle worked out.  The taste was good, but I am going to wait another week or two and see how things go.  I have to work the next 6 or 7 days, so I won't be able to taste it anyway  LOL.