Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Free the Hops in Huntsville  (Read 2574 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Free the Hops in Huntsville
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2022, 07:23:45 pm »
Yea the laws are a little restrictive.  It also scuttles my idea for a brew on premises place...
Majorvices is selling a turnkey brewery in Madison.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
  • Submarines once, Submarines Twice....
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2022, 04:55:24 pm »
I don't really want to buy a brewery.  I bounced the idea back and forth with Majorvices a while back. 
A place to come, drink beer, brew beer (and have someone else clean it up) and store and share your beer.
Trying to figure out how to post the business plan I generated for one of my MBA classes last year.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2022, 05:14:58 pm »
http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/62d88c259bb21/Brew%20Here_Business%20Plan%20Entrepreneur_Stowe.pdf
Ignore the financials. They were a little made up due to lack of real info.
The concept is what I was working on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2022, 05:56:13 pm »
I don't really want to buy a brewery.  I bounced the idea back and forth with Majorvices a while back. 
A place to come, drink beer, brew beer (and have someone else clean it up) and store and share your beer.
Trying to figure out how to post the business plan I generated for one of my MBA classes last year.

IANAL but at least one LHBS in Ala. was doing (or planning to do) classes that went up to the point of pitching the yeast.  But I think if you wanted to ferment there, you'd have to be a licensed brewery ... operate like those wineries that do custom blends and bottles.  As long as you limit each customer to less than the ~650 oz daily limit, it seems like you could count it as to-go sales through the taproom.  But that's a lot more overhead than just having equipment that people rent. And it's probably illegal somehow that I'm overlooking.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2022, 06:34:48 pm »
Whistle Stop Brew Shop in Auburn / Opalika area may be offering classes. I was talking to the owner a few years ago and he told me about the legal limitations.
Keith and I have talked about a few work-arounds but no good viable - profitable solution right now.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2022, 03:21:28 am »
If nothing changes, just know I tried my best

I expect you have this sorted out within the next 19 months.  ;)

But seriously tho, in fairness to FTH, their mission was to bring the craft beer revolution to Alabama, which they did. Homebrewing wd be kind of mission creep for them, but it's not illogical mission creep.

But if they really are "moribund", they shouldn't be accepting new memberships.

Well, the fact of the matter is they aren't really doing anything except hosting lame beer festivals (and if they are raising money what is being done with it?). Hence the "moribund" comment. The brewer's guild is still accomplishing stuff.

Offline BrewBama

Free the Hops in Huntsville
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2022, 05:07:03 am »
Speaking of weird rules pertaining to beer, I just read a story about the alcohol control authority in New Jersey dreaming up some good ones. Some of these are ridiculous IMO.  Note — these aren’t laws enacted by legislation, they are the control authority rules. Authoritarian State at its finest. Here are a few the article listed:

All patrons of a brewery must take a detailed tour of that brewery before purchasing any alcohol for consumption on or off site. The tour may not include sampling beer. ("A licensee must provide such a tour prior to allowing any on-premise consumption, including but not limited to consumer sampling.")

A brewery may not sell or serve food beyond trivial quantities of "water and single-serve, pre-packaged crackers, chips, nuts and similar snacks." A brewer also may not partner with one or more food trucks to offer food for sale on the premises.

A brewery may not sell mixed drinks containing beer on the premises.

A brewery may not offer either free drinks "as a gesture of good will" or discounted drinks.

A brewery may not brew and sell coffee or may not sell any soda that is not produced at the brewery.

A brewery may not host "'pop up' shops, bazaars, or craft shows."

A brewery may not host more than 25 special events per year. Special events include live music, trivia nights, a "live-televised championship sporting event," or the showing of any television program—news, sports, movie, etc.—that the brewery markets via social media.

A brewery may not hire an outside marketing company to assist with any special event.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 05:09:27 am by BrewBama »

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2022, 05:41:47 am »
Speaking of weird rules pertaining to beer, I just read a story about the alcohol control authority in New Jersey dreaming up some good ones. Some of these are ridiculous IMO.  Note — these aren’t laws enacted by legislation, they are the control authority rules. Authoritarian State at its finest. Here are a few the article listed:

All patrons of a brewery must take a detailed tour of that brewery before purchasing any alcohol for consumption on or off site. The tour may not include sampling beer. ("A licensee must provide such a tour prior to allowing any on-premise consumption, including but not limited to consumer sampling.")

A brewery may not sell or serve food beyond trivial quantities of "water and single-serve, pre-packaged crackers, chips, nuts and similar snacks." A brewer also may not partner with one or more food trucks to offer food for sale on the premises.

A brewery may not offer either free drinks "as a gesture of good will" or discounted drinks.

A brewery may not brew and sell coffee or may not sell any soda that is not produced at the brewery.

A brewery may not host more than 25 special events per year. Special events include live music, trivia nights, a "live-televised championship sporting event," or the showing of any television program—news, sports, movie, etc.—that the brewery markets via social media.

A brewery may not hire an outside marketing company to assist with any special event.
Sounds like the macro beer and state alcohol distribution lobbiests are in tight with the control board. That’s what usually drives these nonsense rules.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline tommymorris

Free the Hops in Huntsville
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2022, 06:40:16 am »

Sounds like the macro beer and state alcohol distribution lobbiests are in tight with the control board. That’s what usually drives these nonsense rules.
Man! Somebody doesn’t like craft breweries!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 09:58:44 am by tommymorris »

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2022, 02:05:26 pm »
Jeff Alworth did a pretty good write up over at beervana.

https://www.beervanablog.com/beervana/2022/7/21/what-the-hell-is-happening-in-new-jersey

Whistle Stop Brew Shop in Auburn / Opelika area may be offering classes.

That's how I got started! A coworker of mine set up group lesson at Whistlestop. Like 8 of us went, and only I caught the bug... 🙄

The Other Drew

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2022, 02:58:02 am »
Jeff Alworth did a pretty good write up over at beervana.

https://www.beervanablog.com/beervana/2022/7/21/what-the-hell-is-happening-in-new-jersey

Whistle Stop Brew Shop in Auburn / Opelika area may be offering classes.

That's how I got started! A coworker of mine set up group lesson at Whistlestop. Like 8 of us went, and only I caught the bug...
When I was stationed in Bangor Washington as the Executive Officer on the mighty warship USS Alabama (yes Denzel played me in the movie) the group Admiral hosted an annual Octberfest including a home brew contest between the boats. It got me interested but I didn’t start brewing for another 10 years. Basically after I stopped going to sea.

Rules like what is going on in Jersey is part of the the reason we a getting away from the coast. That and Covid. Folks here are nuts about it. All masked up driving alone in their cars or walking outside away from everyone. They have gotten too scared to live.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2022, 02:59:15 am »
Sorry for the misspelling of Octoberfest. It’s early and I am all thumbs on the phone.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2022, 05:48:42 am »
... but I didn’t start brewing for another 10 years. Basically after I stopped going to sea...

That's too bad: you could've been the only guy in the homebrew club with an IPA that had actually been to sea. 😉
The Other Drew

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2022, 06:26:39 am »

Rules like what is going on in Jersey is part of the the reason we a getting away from the coast. …

Be advised… They have some interesting laws around here as well across a spectrum of hot topics. We won’t cross the line into discussing politics and religion so let’s just say we have an interesting mix of the two in force here.

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2022, 11:38:46 am »

Rules like what is going on in Jersey is part of the the reason we a getting away from the coast. …

Be advised… They have some interesting laws around here as well across a spectrum of hot topics. We won’t cross the line into discussing politics and religion so let’s just say we have an interesting mix of the two in force here.

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV
But the people are friendly and will talk to you. Much different atmosphere.