Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Diamond Lager at Ale temps?  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Diamond Lager at Ale temps?
« on: July 15, 2022, 10:05:49 am »
Brewing up an Irish Red this Sunday.
Probably another split batch, with Diamond Lager and S-04 Yeast.
Does Diamond ferment well at warmer temps, say 60 to 65 degrees?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Diamond Lager at Ale temps?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 10:17:15 am »
Brewing up an Irish Red this Sunday.
Probably another split batch, with Diamond Lager and S-04 Yeast.
Does Diamond ferment well at warmer temps, say 60 to 65 degrees?

Yep. Should be OK for that style.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 11:33:25 am »
YES, go for it.  Great split batch experiment, I'd be curious to taste the results or hear your tasting notes of the final beers.  Both have performed very cleanly for me in upper 60s or even low 70s.  Both might produce a little sulfur but if so it will age out after a few weeks.  Same with diacetyl, IF it happens.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 12:58:47 pm »
YES, go for it.  Great split batch experiment, I'd be curious to taste the results or hear your tasting notes of the final beers.  Both have performed very cleanly for me in upper 60s or even low 70s.  Both might produce a little sulfur but if so it will age out after a few weeks.  Same with diacetyl, IF it happens.
Did the Diamond producer Lager flavors for you when fermented warm?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 01:56:08 pm »

Assuming we both define lager flavors them same way,  I didn't find that it did as much as at colder temps.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 02:14:17 pm »

Yes, tastes like good lager.  It might turn around a little faster than when fermented cold, but like I said, might still take a bit of aging before all the sulfur and/or diacetyl age out.  Still, you should be able to get a good "lager" within approximately 4 weeks with it, maybe 5 weeks.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 03:34:47 pm »

Yes, tastes like good lager.  It might turn around a little faster than when fermented cold, but like I said, might still take a bit of aging before all the sulfur and/or diacetyl age out.  Still, you should be able to get a good "lager" within approximately 4 weeks with it, maybe 5 weeks.

I would swear mine tasted a bit fruity, unlike when I ferment at lower temps.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2022, 08:27:04 am »

You and Denny both talked me into it. Should be a good experiment. Brewing either tomorrow or Monday morning.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 10:27:43 am by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2022, 08:43:52 am »
denny and dmtaylor: Thanks much for your comments. The difference in perception (or difference in the actual flavors) is very interesting.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2022, 09:09:02 am »
Though not with Diamond (yet), I routinely ferment W34/70 and S-189 at 60°F. I don’t get any off flavors.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2022, 10:32:37 am »
Though not with Diamond (yet), I routinely ferment W34/70 and S-189 at 60°F. I don’t get any off flavors.

That is another option, as I have W-34/70 on hand. But since switching to Diamond, with the results we get, 34/70 has not been used in some time.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 12:16:33 pm »
The Diamond took off like an Atlas Rocket! Maybe a 6 hour lag, then strong activity.

The London Ale is still getting acclimated to it's new surroundings...

Temp is 62.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2022, 01:22:09 pm »
The Diamond took off like an Atlas Rocket! Maybe a 6 hour lag, then strong activity.

Temp is 62.

Sounds about right.  The London(? or S-04?) won't be far behind.
Dave

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2022, 02:03:37 pm »

Temp is 62.

Sounds about right.  The London(? or S-04?) won't be far behind.

Yes, S-04. I think it will kick off any minute now. Signs of positive pressure building in the fermenter.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2022, 11:47:31 am »
Update:
Pulled a small sample from the Diamond side, after 3 days fermenting at 62F.

Here are the numbers -

OG: 1.049
FG: 1.009
ABV: 5.39%

That was wicked fast! And yes, it was a harvested slurry, and we over pitch.

This promises to be a very drinkable beer.