Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stale Grain?  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Stale Grain?
« on: July 19, 2022, 07:46:27 am »
Brewed up an Irish Red yesterday. The plan was to use some Weyermann Carared. It was sealed in a heavy weight plastic bag. Opened up the bag, and I noticed an off aroma.

It was exactly like stale peanuts. Or old, stale cooking oil.

This grain is about 1 year. old. First time I have had this happen. The grain still tastes fine, but has that "stale peanut" odor. So we decided to use it for bird feed.

We have other grains about the same age, still in the original packaging material from the malting company. They are all fine.

Is this common? Any one else have this happen?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Stale Grain?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 08:31:30 am »
I have recently used 9 year old pils malt that may have been past it's prime, but still made a great beer with no malt repeated off flavors. OTOH, I have had somewhat that has been dump3d due to being too old. I decide on a case by case basis by chewing some. If it's soft or tastes off, I dump it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 08:38:46 am »
I have recently used 9 year old pils malt that may have been past it's prime, but still made a great beer with no malt repeated off flavors. OTOH, I have had somewhat that has been dump3d due to being too old. I decide on a case by case basis by chewing some. If it's soft or tastes off, I dump it.

This Carared is still firm, crunchy. Taste is fine. Just that slight stale peanut aroma.
Maybe it's Ok?

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 09:44:02 am »
What does it smell like when its fresh?  That's what you need to know in this case I think.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 12:14:40 pm »
What does it smell like when its fresh?  That's what you need to know in this case I think.

Don't recall much if any aroma when fresh.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 01:08:55 pm »

This Carared is still firm, crunchy. Taste is fine. Just that slight stale peanut aroma.
Maybe it's Ok?

If it's crunchy and tastes OK, I'd say it's fine.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2022, 01:20:38 pm »

Maybe it's Ok?

If it's crunchy and tastes OK, I'd say it's fine.

Thanks! I will use it next time.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 06:21:10 am »
Sounds to me the heavy weight plastic bag allowed oxygen inside thereby causing the stale malt. May want to consider getting some food grade buckets with decent lids for malt storage especially since it's unknown what chemicals were used to make the heavy weight plastic bag. Was the heavy weight plastic bag food grade?

BTW, if the malt is stale you'll know it. Ever had a stale cracker or pretzel?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2022, 08:09:55 am »
Sounds to me the heavy weight plastic bag allowed oxygen inside thereby causing the stale malt. May want to consider getting some food grade buckets with decent lids for malt storage especially since it's unknown what chemicals were used to make the heavy weight plastic bag. Was the heavy weight plastic bag food grade?

Since the grains are hard and it tastes OK, I don't think you can conclude that it's stale. And I cn imagine a matter using a bag that isn't food grade. Have you seen anything to conclude that could be the case?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2022, 10:00:08 am »

Since the grains are hard and it tastes OK, I don't think you can conclude that it's stale. And I cn imagine a matter using a bag that isn't food grade. Have you seen anything to conclude that could be the case?

The thick plastic bag is the one that the local supplier used. Two pounds was purchased, and I had used some of the grain previously, and then sealed the bag again using a vacuum sealer, although all of the air was not removed.

As we buy grain in 55 lb bags, the grain is stored in the original bag until it is used up. Even with some grains that might approach 12 months old, never had any issues with storage.

To recap, this grain has a faint aroma of stale (rancid) peanuts. Or stale cooking oil. Very faint. But is still very crunchy, and tastes fine.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2022, 10:02:18 am »

The thick plastic bag is the one that the local supplier used. I had used some of the grain previously, and then sealed the bag again using a vacuum sealer, although all of the air was not removed.

As we buy grain in 55 lb bags, the grain is stored in the original bag until it is used up. Even with some grains that might approach 12 months old, never had any issues with storage.

To recap, this grain has a faint aroma of stale (rancid) peanuts. Or stale cooking oil. Very faint. But is still very crunchy, and tastes fine.

How about doing a hot steep and tasting the extract? That should give you a pretty good idea of the flavor.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2022, 10:50:45 am »

The thick plastic bag is the one that the local supplier used. I had used some of the grain previously, and then sealed the bag again using a vacuum sealer, although all of the air was not removed.

How about doing a hot steep and tasting the extract? That should give you a pretty good idea of the flavor.
Didn’t the birds already eat it? :)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2022, 11:24:33 am »

Didn’t the birds already eat it? :)

Ha! No, my wife put a small amount in one of her bird feeders. They have not touched it. I have about one pound (+/-) left.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2022, 04:25:50 am »
If it doesn't pass the sniff test, it's not worth further time and thought, and is tossed.
It's rare for it to happen to me, but have tossed hops, dried orange peel, and grain.
The very few times that I overrode my common sense only led to a batch being dumped.

The same goes with anything the wife and I would eat or drink.
Hard lessons learned from experience.

As the old adage goes, when in doubt throw it out.
You should never question something your going to put inside your body.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 08:24:42 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2022, 05:31:40 pm »
"Didn’t the birds already eat it? :)
Ha! No, my wife put a small amount in one of her bird feeders. They have not touched it. I have about one pound (+/-) left."

I've had similar experience. Animals don't want the spent grain. That's why I now use my spend grain for making bread, pretzels or as fertilizer, mulch in the garden.