Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stale Grain?  (Read 1892 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Stale Grain?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2022, 02:31:03 pm »
"Didn’t the birds already eat it? :)
Ha! No, my wife put a small amount in one of her bird feeders. They have not touched it. I have about one pound (+/-) left."

I've had similar experience. Animals don't want the spent grain. That's why I now use my spend grain for making bread, pretzels or as fertilizer, mulch in the garden.

my chickens and the deer love spent grain so much I have limit how much they get
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2022, 04:08:59 pm »
Ha! No, my wife put a small amount in one of her bird feeders. They have not touched it. I have about one pound (+/-) left."

I've had similar experience. Animals don't want the spent grain. That's why I now use my spend grain for making bread, pretzels or as fertilizer, mulch in the garden.

my chickens and the deer love spent grain so much I have limit how much they get
Distiller's grain is a byproduct of commercial ethanol production and is considered a good animal feed. From https://www.iowacorn.org/corn-uses/livestock/distillers-grains:

Distillers grains are a co-product of the ethanol production process and a great, low cost alternative feed ingredient that continues to be produced in large quantities by the dry-grind fuel ethanol industry. They are rich in the protein, fat, minerals and vitamins that animals need, making them a popular feed ingredient for livestock and poultry diets.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Fire Rooster

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2022, 05:00:19 am »

Distiller's grain is a byproduct of commercial ethanol production and is considered a good animal feed. From https://www.iowacorn.org/corn-uses/livestock/distillers-grains:

Distillers grains are a co-product of the ethanol production process and a great, low cost alternative feed ingredient that continues to be produced in large quantities by the dry-grind fuel ethanol industry. They are rich in the protein, fat, minerals and vitamins that animals need, making them a popular feed ingredient for livestock and poultry diets.

https://redrockbrewing.com/craftybeergirls/2018/07/23/spent-grain-dog-treats/

Never made this particular recipe. Take note temp reduced to 225.

Any cookie cutters would do, or just roll them in small balls and mash flat.
Amount of flour would vary, depending on how wet the spent grains are.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 07:39:14 am by Fire Rooster »