Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CellarScience Baja results  (Read 1823 times)

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
CellarScience Baja results
« on: July 19, 2022, 02:41:58 pm »
First batch of Pilsner style beer with Baja dry lager yeast. Pretty standard pils recipe I have used many times. Slightly undershot my gravity on this brew for a starting OG of 1.044. Terminal gravity 1.009

50/50 Best pils and Heidelberg
Perle hops single addition for mid 30’s ibu

Pitched heavy at almost 2 grams per liter.
Pitched into fermenter as knocking out low 70’s and then dropped temp to 48F in about 30 minutes.

Fermentation took 12 days with a slow ride to 53F
Capped fermenter for natural carbonation.
Dropped 2 degrees F per day to 37F held for a week. Then drop to 34F and keg.

Beer is a bit young but this yeast is extremely clean and crisp and drops very bright. I think it might be too clean for some lager styles but in a pils of sorts it definitely hits the “crispy” note.

Will use again. Nice to have another great dry lager yeast in the toolbox!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: CellarScience Baja results
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 05:35:42 pm »
MDL:  Thanks for posting that.  I have been keeping my mind on this yeast because I am a fan of 940 (brewing batches with it right now) and if the yeast has the same character then having it in dry form would be nice.  Are you saying you pitched around 40 grams of yeast?  Damn, that's a lot.  Are you familiar with 940 at all and if so, do the strains seem similar?  Cheers and thanks again. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 07:42:56 pm »
Batch size is 34 gallons knockout into fermenter. Purchased a 500 gram brick from MoreBeer and pitched half(250 grams) dry into FV during knockout. Knock out temp low mid 70’s and set temp on fermenter to 48F. Glycol brought it down about 30-40 minutes after pitching in the dry yeast.

I have not used 940.

The AEB strain this is repacked from is called “Fermolager Crisp”. The crisp part is spot on.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 07:48:04 am »
Batch size is 34 gallons knockout into fermenter. Purchased a 500 gram brick from MoreBeer and pitched half(250 grams) dry into FV during knockout. Knock out temp low mid 70’s and set temp on fermenter to 48F. Glycol brought it down about 30-40 minutes after pitching in the dry yeast.

I have not used 940.

The AEB strain this is repacked from is called “Fermolager Crisp”. The crisp part is spot on.
Oh sheesh, that's a lot of beer.  I get it now.  Yes, I remember the name Fermocrisp Lager and also remember that the strain itself is supposed to come from Mexico City.  I'm pretty sure 940 is supposed to be Modelo's yeast so this one is either THAT strain or else the other large Mexico brewery Moctezuma which brews Dos Equis, Sol, Tecate, Indio, Bohemia, etc.  I was just talking on another board with someone who is considering getting a brick and maybe they'll share some with me.  The idea of buying 500g of dry yeast that I have never used before is a little weird.  I'm quite certain I'll like it but it would be cool to test drive 12g of it first.  :D 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 09:01:03 am »
BTW, it appears that MoreBeer is getting ready to sell this yeast (Cellar Science BAJA) in 12g packets "soon" - whatever that means.  So I no longer have to find 9 other people to split a brick with.

I also posted this on another thread that mentioned Baja.

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2022, 11:01:25 am »
...and the 12g packets are now available at MoreBeer.

Apologies for the cross-posting, but there were 2 threads that mentioned it recently.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2022, 07:33:08 am »
...and the 12g packets are now available at MoreBeer.

Apologies for the cross-posting, but there were 2 threads that mentioned it recently.
Thank you for that. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2023, 08:02:27 am »
I received two 12g packets of the Baja yeast from Morebeer and I'm looking forward to using it in some lagers here soon.  WLP940's description used to say, "Used by a large Mexican brewery" but the Baja description clearly states that this is Modelo's yeast.  I'm using 2124 at the moment but the Baja will be fired up here at some point.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
CellarScience Baja results
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2023, 08:17:52 am »
I have a Pub Ale up next (session strength APA kinda thing).

Then, I plan a SMaSH (Pale malt + Pacifica hops) that I want to use Baja with. I am targeting a lawnmower beer I associate with easy drinking, hot wx Mex lagers. 

I sure want to like this yeast.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 08:29:04 am by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2023, 08:51:47 am »
I just bought a pack of Novalager yeast. I want to try the Baja soon also.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2023, 09:58:14 am »
I have a Pub Ale up next (session strength APA kinda thing).

Then, I plan a SMaSH (Pale malt + Pacifica hops) that I want to use Baja with. I am targeting a lawnmower beer I associate with easy drinking, hot wx Mex lagers. 

I sure want to like this yeast.
Refresh my memory... did you buy the brick of Baja or the smaller packs.  Curious how much you'll pitch.  If I made a 1.050 lager would I use one pack of Baja or two?
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2023, 01:03:27 pm »
12 g packs.

MoreBeer says, “Two sachets are enough to treat a 5–6 gallon batch. When calculating for larger batches, use at a rate of 2.5–4 grams per gallon of wort. We recommend rounding up by one full sachet rather than measuring out the yeast exactly.”

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2023, 01:27:54 pm »
12 g packs.

MoreBeer says, “Two sachets are enough to treat a 5–6 gallon batch. When calculating for larger batches, use at a rate of 2.5–4 grams per gallon of wort. We recommend rounding up by one full sachet rather than measuring out the yeast exactly.”
Fine.  Two packets it is.  The convenience factor is already there so no need to be stingy on the yeast.   
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2023, 02:14:17 pm »
I'm curious what you guys hope to find with this to distinguish it from other lager yeasts.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2023, 06:15:23 pm »
Half the fun is trying something new. Off topic, but that is why I am trying Novalager yeast.