Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sunraker Pils fermentation not starting (WY-2124)?  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
Sunraker Pils fermentation not starting (WY-2124)?
« on: June 22, 2022, 03:35:42 am »
EDIT: yeast I pitched was wy-2124 (I added to subject just now)

I made a batch of the Sunraker Pils from the members recipe area. I waited for the wort to cool to 62F before pitching the yeast (expiration date is 8/12/22) and it's since chilled to the required 50F. I'm going on day three (post-pitch). Gave it a swirl this morning but I don't think anything is happening. There's no visible activity in the blowoff and the wort is still at 1.046. Does this yeast just take a while to get going?

The yeast pack didn't bulge up to seam-busting proportions the way wy-1450 does. I smacked it and it sat at 70F for about 8 hours. It expanded some but not to the point where you realize why they make the packaging so thick so maybe something's not quite right with it?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 03:34:07 pm by Joe_Beer »

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Sunraker Pils fermentation not starting?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 06:34:04 am »
What yeast strain?

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 07:17:23 am »
There are many reasons for a slow start.  First, like BrewBama asked, what is the strain?  Also, what is the Use By Date on the package?  Also, did you make a starter of sufficient size?  Also, where did you get the yeast; was it purchased locally or was it shipped?  If it was shipped, did it remain cool in transit?
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 02:58:25 pm »
What yeast strain?

That would be helpful wouldn't it :D  WY-2124

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 03:33:07 pm »
There are many reasons for a slow start.  First, like BrewBama asked, what is the strain?  Also, what is the Use By Date on the package?  Also, did you make a starter of sufficient size?  Also, where did you get the yeast; was it purchased locally or was it shipped?  If it was shipped, did it remain cool in transit?

Use By date is 8/12/22. Purchased locally at my LHBS last week but who knows where it was before then. I didn't bother with a starter since the yeast was well within the use-by date.

I noticed @Bel Air Brewing posted last month about sluggish wy-2124. So maybe that's related.  @dmtayler mentions upper fifties work better for him and he's pretty legit so I turned the inkbird up to 55 this afternoon. Maybe something will be happening by morning.  If not, is it too late to just pitch another pack of 2124?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 04:02:19 pm »

Use By date is 8/12/22. Purchased locally at my LHBS last week but who knows where it was before then. I didn't bother with a starter since the yeast was well within the use-by date.

I noticed @Bel Air Brewing posted last month about sluggish wy-2124. So maybe that's related.  @dmtayler mentions upper fifties work better for him and he's pretty legit so I turned the inkbird up to 55 this afternoon. Maybe something will be happening by morning.  If not, is it too late to just pitch another pack of 2124?

I would say that you shoukd always make a starter with Wyeast, especially for cold fermentation. At this point, you'll just have to wait or pitch more.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Sunraker Pils fermentation not starting (WY-2124)?
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 06:13:01 pm »
My recent brew with 2124 was a slow starter, taking 3 days to take off. Two fresh smack packs were used for 5 gallons. They both swelled up like a tick on a hound dog.

The temp was raised to 54 until strong activity was noted, then lowered to 50.

This 2124 was harvested for a Leichtbier that was just brewed a couple days ago. Fermentation kicked off nicely within 12 hours. 52, then down to 50F.

Don't let the slow start worry you. It will be fine.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 06:58:24 pm by Bel Air Brewing »

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 04:32:36 am »
I would say that you shoukd always make a starter with Wyeast, especially for cold fermentation. At this point, you'll just have to wait or pitch more.

Thanks. Do people typically make starters even with "new" yeast?  Is Wyeast in particular a little iffy?

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 04:40:25 am »
My recent brew with 2124 was a slow starter, taking 3 days to take off. Two fresh smack packs were used for 5 gallons. They both swelled up like a tick on a hound dog.

The temp was raised to 54 until strong activity was noted, then lowered to 50.

This 2124 was harvested for a Leichtbier that was just brewed a couple days ago. Fermentation kicked off nicely within 12 hours. 52, then down to 50F.

Don't let the slow start worry you. It will be fine.

I've had doubts on slow starts before only to be surprised 8 hours later. Usually the gravity will drop a little even when nothing else looks like it's going on but this time it's still the same as when I pitched. The pack didn't bulge like the other two smack packs I've used but I had a few other things going on at pitch time and wasn't really paying attention. The older I get, the less I'm able to "multitask".

I've dropped the inkbird to 40F to try and slow down any stuff that might want to start growing in the wort. I'll pick another pack up today and make sure it's all bloated before pitching. 

Does a delayed ferment like this have an affect on the overall flavor profile of the beer or are you good as long as nothing starts growing before the yeast takes hold?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 05:37:29 am by Joe_Beer »

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 07:09:17 am »

Thanks. Do people typically make starters even with "new" yeast?  Is Wyeast in particular a little iffy?

I have gotten into the habit so making a starter when using liquid yeast.  I use BeetSmith to tell me how big the starter should be.  I believe the size is determined by OG, volume and lager vs. ale.  I’ll direct pitch dry yeast.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2022, 09:02:01 am »
I have gone to making full batch (5 gal), but fairly or very low ABV beers (under and up to 1.040 OG), for the first pitch of a liquid yeast, then serially re-pitch from there.  Making a starter is unnecessary with this approach, in my experience.  Most of my liquid yeasts are Omega and I get them very fresh.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2022, 12:28:46 pm »
As long as the yeast isn't terribly old I've never worried too much about how much the pack swells after smacking. I've smacked some and not seen much swelling only to open the packaging and see the nutrient pack was barely ruptured and most of the nutrients were still inside. That's just user error on my part.

I tend to always make starters even for smaller batches and keep some of the starter behind to use on future batches but I've pitches some of those less swollen packs into wort and not had much problem. Not ideal but not a big deal, either.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2022, 04:49:59 pm »
Welp, I picked up another pack of 2124 and this one bloated up after 4 hours. Not as much as the wy-1450 I've used before, but it looked much more promising than the last pack. I put it into 1 liter starter. Hopefully by tomorrow it will be settled out so I can pitch it.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2022, 04:19:09 am »
Just wanted to follow up to say this beer turned out quite well despite sitting in the fridge for a week, and pitching two packs of yeast.