Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottom Harvesting Lallemand Voss Kveik @ 84hrs?  (Read 1542 times)

Offline superstinkycupcake

• 1st Kit
Bottom Harvesting Lallemand Voss Kveik @ 84hrs?
« on: March 23, 2021, 04:29:41 am »
I want to bottom harvest and try to sustain my Lallemand Voss Kveik.

I have been just harvesting from the yeast cake after fermentation is finished, which has worked fine so far after 3 generations. But after doing more research Ive read its best to bottom harvest at 84hrs?

Should I try siphon off and harvest the kviek from the bottom of the fermenter at 84 hours? Or just keep using the yeast cake after fermentaion has finished?

Also if I do siphon off the kviek from the bottom of my fermenter at 84 hours, how much of the yeast cake should i take and will it effect fermentaion/flavour if i take too much?

Thanks heaps for any input!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 06:17:04 pm by superstinkycupcake »

Offline bmeeker212

• 1st Kit
Re: Bottom Harvesting Lallemand Voss Kveik @ 84hrs?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 08:31:14 am »
I too would be interested to know if there is a major difference in 84 hours, to after the 1st racking.

What would be the reason? Since the Kveik seems to be pretty hardy and is easily harvested, even dried for long term storage in a freezer. I would imagine it would effect the fermentation as well.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 11:47:11 am »
I have not used that strain.  Does it form a yeast head?  If so, you are probably better off top-cropping than bottom-cropping.

Offline Chad Haatvedt

• 1st Kit
    • BorealBrewers
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 07:25:01 pm »
@superstinkycupcake... I have been brewing with the Voss Kveik for a while now.  I pulled, the yeast cake out of the bottom if my conical fermentor at about 84 hours. I usually get about 3 pints of good yeast. I put it in my keezer to keep until next batch.

I do ten gallon batches. The one I did today was using the yeast for the third time.  It started blowing CO2 like mad just 4 hours later.  Just like Iast time.  I wonder how many times I can reuse it.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

There are 10 kinds of home brewers.  Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 06:59:11 pm »
Don't worry about when to harvest. I harvest everything after 14 days in the fermenter. Voss Kveik can be any time. Those kveiks are crazy resilient. You could leave a jar in your fridge for a year and pitch it with no starter and it'll ferment a great beer for you. It's insane.
Jesse

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 01:36:01 pm »
yeah, as people said. i got full activity within 6 hours or so. fermented out in a few days, did not drop super clear however.

got 80% AA with only 6% crystal/abbey malt, the rest base. taste does not pop to me, reminds me of an english yeast fermented at mid 60s temps.