Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smack pack did not inflate  (Read 3027 times)

Offline treaves

• 1st Kit
Smack pack did not inflate
« on: September 23, 2010, 07:44:39 am »
The yeast I plan to brew with this weekend was well past the Best Use date, but it is what the store had.  I smacked it last night, and there is no real swelling.  I plan on putting it into a starter tonight, but was wondering if people have succeeded under such circumstances?  Is there still possibly enough viable yeast to take off in a starter?

And as I use a stir plate and foam stopper for my starters, I won't see bubbling;  once settled, how many mm of yeast typically collect in the bottom of a 2000ml flask?

Thanks.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: Smack pack did not inflate
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 07:55:43 am »
I had a pre-smacked smack pack delivered to me a few weeks ago; I stuck it in the fridge and it deflated quite a bit, so I was nervous about pitching it. However, after a day of lag time, it's fermenting nicely. The wee yeasties are a resilient lot; I think you'll be ok.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 07:57:25 am »
Also note that, at least for my smack pack, there are two things which one must smack: The yeast pack, and the food pack. If you didn't smack the right pack, give it another crack.
</doctorseuss>
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 07:58:18 am »
yeah I had the same thing happen with some belgian wyeast.  I made a starter with it but pitched a white labs tube as well.  Fermented nicely, although I can't say whether or not the yeast from the smack pack did much.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 08:14:01 am »
You should be fine since you're making a starter.  There's almost sure to be some viable yeasties in there.
Joe

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 12:09:37 pm »
I think a starter will do the trick.  You'd have to do something awfully wrong to completely kill a smack pack.  Those yeasties are alot tougher than you think.
Ron Price

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 12:12:03 pm »
I pitched a non-inflated pack a few weeks back. I could hear it fizzing, but it hardly swelled. Hoped I was having a long lag, but it picked up an infection.  Irritated, but I guess one lives and learns to make a starter.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 09:25:52 am »
The yeast I plan to brew with this weekend was well past the Best Use date, but it is what the store had.  I smacked it last night, and there is no real swelling.

The date is the manufacture date, not the use by date.  The ROT is to expect it to take one day for every month past manufacture for it to swell.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline treaves

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 11:13:24 am »
It's nice to know those little critters are so hardy!