Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When to add puree to IPA?  (Read 604 times)

Offline kyle2227

• 1st Kit
When to add puree to IPA?
« on: August 03, 2022, 06:07:35 pm »
Question for you guys. I recently brewed a sour. The kit directions had me primary ferment for 2 weeks and then add fruit puree into the primary for another 2 weeks.

I brewed an IPA about 5 days ago that I would like to also add puree. When should I add the fruit puree? I will be using mango, Passion fruit, and guava. I was thinking about letting it ferment for maybe a week and a 1/2 and then adding the puree and then letting ferment for another week and a 1/2? What would you guys recommend. The end result goal is a tropical ipa.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: When to add puree to IPA?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 08:05:17 pm »
I would wait for activity to slow then add the fruit. It will ferment until it’s done. Done put a time limit on it.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline pv

• 1st Kit
Re: When to add puree to IPA?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 09:49:55 am »
I would wait for activity to slow then add the fruit. It will ferment until it’s done. Done put a time limit on it.

Second this, I always seem to add it at about day 3 or 4 into fermentation.  It has worked well so far.  I have not seen any issues with oxidation, just don't make a big splash into the fermenter.  The remaining fermentation should clean up any residual O2.
Upstate South Carolina

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
When to add puree to IPA?
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 08:09:02 am »
… The remaining fermentation should clean up any residual O2.

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV