Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My last two brews.....  (Read 1677 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: My last two brews.....
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2022, 08:11:45 am »
I've had some that stall and then start back fermenting several days later. Hopefully yours will do this. I raise the temperature when this happens. I haven't had one that just won't ferment out, but I understand it happens. Some brewers rouse the yeast, some pitch more yeast, but I haven't tried these methods, so I can't really comment on them.

I am not sure what I may have done.  I have gotten a few suggestions that I am going to check out.  I might just throw another packet of yeast in and see what happens.  It is only another 3 bucks for the packet and a learning experience for me.

Do a forced fermentation test to see if more yeast will do any good.

Thanks Denny, I will read up on how to do it.  I am guessing basically I take some of the wort I have in the fermenter and pour it in a clean sterile container and pitch a small amount of the same yeast I used before?  Stir it a few times during the day and check gravity?   Sounds too easy.  LOL.  I honestly think my problem might have been equipment related.  I am going to check my thermometer on my kettle either tomorrow or Thursday and see where that is first.  For the life of me, I cannot figure out what went wrong these last two times.  I did everything exactly the same as I did the first three.  Oh well, I will figure it out.   Thanks for the info, going to go to Morebeer and see if they have some Bry97 to try the test.  RR

Actually you pitch a large amount of any yeast. I use bread yeast. You're not testing yeast, you're testing whether the wort will ferment under any circumstances. If the wort ferment, you've got a yeast issue. If it doesn't, you've got a wort issue.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2022, 10:14:16 am »
Taste the beer.  Then decide if there is a problem.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2022, 04:21:29 pm »
Ok folks, so here is where I eat a bunch of crow.  I just checked my first "errant" brew.  The gravity into the keg was 1.054.  The last gravity I took was about 1.023 and that held there for about a week.  I decided to keg it and let it sit for another week.  So this is about the third week of fermentation.  i just checked it, and low and behold I am at 1.018.  Still not where I want to be, but a damn shot better than I was. 

I checked the other one, that was reading 1.035 on my Ispindel and has been in the bucket for about a week and a half.  The ispindel says it is about 1.035.  But, my hydrometer says it is at about 1.028.  So, obviously I have an issue with the Ispindel reading too high.  Not sure what that is all about, but I am much happier now that I see the numbers coming down to where they should be.  So, Let the Flaming begin!!!!!!  LOL

As an addition, I just thought of something that I did that might have been pretty stupid.  While draining the cooled wort into the fermenting bucket, I used my hands to clear the small amount of trub that was blocking the bazooka screen and keeping some of the liquid from pouring thru.  I am pretty sure I washed my hands, but I am not 100% sure.  Could that have been the issue for the yeast to stop and the FG being so high?  I don't know why I just realized it, but I did.  Thoughts? 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 11:15:17 am by redrocker652002 »

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2022, 08:12:05 am »
Just an update.  I finally got around to pulling a pint of my first "errant" brew.  It was considerably darker than most I have done, but I think this was more an ale style, I have to look at the notes again.  I gave it a sniff or two, didn't smell too bad, so what the heck.  I gave it a taste.  Very mild taste but not bad.  So, maybe a jumped the gun a bit by saying it was bad.  It sure didn't go the way it was supposed to, but still a drinkable beer that is low on the bitter side.  I might try this again and add a bit more hops late in the boil and dry hop to see if I can get a bit more flavor out of it.  But all in all, not a bad beer after all. 

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2022, 10:28:41 am »
this is pretty much the perfect scenario to do a forced fermentation test. If that attenuates, then you have probably have a yeast health or fermentation temp problem (too low) problem. If it doesnt, you have either a conversion problem or a mash temp problem, although even a mash temp of 160 probably would make a more fermentatble wort than an fg in the 10.30's