Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Omega German Lager 1...  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Omega German Lager 1...
« on: July 25, 2022, 01:21:24 pm »
I went to my supplier today and went to the yeast fridge and was like What in Satan's fire? because there was no Wyeast anymore.  She said she stopped carrying it.  I told her I was looking for 2124 and she handed me Omega German Lager 1.  She said it's 2124.  The dates were April so she gave me 2 for 1.  I am making one more batch with 940 and then retiring it and then I'll make an SNS starter with the 2 packs of this Omega.  Who here has experience with it?
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Omega German Lager 1...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 01:55:27 pm »
We have good experience with 2124. Used it in several brews recently.
But we like Diamond Lager much better.
Never used Omega.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 03:23:24 pm »
Ken - you will like the results from Omega, especially since it is made in your part of the state.  I really like the Bayern lager strain, but the German 1 is perfectly good, as well (they indicate it is quite tolerant of temperature ranges, but I ferment in the lower 50's for most lagers).  I have met Lance Shaner and some of his staff - they are quality people with incredible technical proficiency.  As to the yeast strains this chart will help:

https://omegayeast.com/uploads/downloads/2021-OY-Homebrew-Strain-Poster.pdf

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 07:58:25 pm »
I have used WY-2124 for many years and wanted to try Omega equivalent.

Well OYL-106 is NOT WY-2124.

Is is a fine yeast but from flavor profile it is crispier and less malty. Yeast cells are little smaller (for filtering purposes) and yeast is more delicate.

All I can say I am happy to be back with WY-2124.

I am sure people working for Omega yeast are nice and knowledgeable.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 09:18:29 pm »
Guys, thank you.  I am often very skeptical when one yeast is supposed to be the same as this other yeast.  2124 is one of my favorite strains so to hear Thirsty_Monk say they're not the same... that's discouraging.  But... I will brew with it. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 06:50:40 am »
In the link posted by ynotbrusum, the yeast in question was called the most used lager strain. When I see that I immediately say it is Weihenstephaner 34/70.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 07:21:29 am »
In the link posted by ynotbrusum, the yeast in question was called the most used lager strain. When I see that I immediately say it is Weihenstephaner 34/70.
Yes, you read my mind on that plus the part where it functions well at various temps... also a characteristic of 2124.  All of that seems to light up to me.  There is something unique to me about 2124.  The maltiness (mentioned already) stands out but the aroma is really, really nice.  I can't articulate it but it's fantastic.  I'm going to be open-minded, feed it some wort and see what it does.  Also, I always found it strange that Wyeast called it "Bohemian Lager Yeast".  Is it more of a Czech strain as opposed to German?  Weihenstephan is German, no?  That has been a mystery to me since I started brewing in 1999. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2022, 08:03:40 am »
I went to my supplier today and went to the yeast fridge and was like What in Satan's fire? because there was no Wyeast anymore.  She said she stopped carrying it.  I told her I was looking for 2124 and she handed me Omega German Lager 1.  She said it's 2124.  The dates were April so she gave me 2 for 1.  I am making one more batch with 940 and then retiring it and then I'll make an SNS starter with the 2 packs of this Omega.  Who here has experience with it?

No, it's not the same thing. No yeast from one manufacturer is exactly like the equivalent form another, although they may have the same heritage.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2022, 08:04:14 am »
Guys, thank you.  I am often very skeptical when one yeast is supposed to be the same as this other yeast.  2124 is one of my favorite strains so to hear Thirsty_Monk say they're not the same... that's discouraging.  But... I will brew with it.

Trust Leos.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2022, 08:19:42 am »

Trust Leos.

He makes some very tasty beers.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2022, 11:10:11 am »

Trust Leos.

I will be going through Eau Claire WI in a couple months and I will have to stop for some - depending on the time of day.  I used to be able to buy a growler at a grocery store up there - we would pick some up on our way to a northwoods cabin and swap them out on the return trip at the store.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2022, 05:18:26 am »

Trust Leos.

I will be going through Eau Claire WI in a couple months and I will have to stop for some - depending on the time of day.  I used to be able to buy a growler at a grocery store up there - we would pick some up on our way to a northwoods cabin and swap them out on the return trip at the store.
Ahh. Good old days.

Let me know if you want me to show you brewery. If you do not have time, just stop at Woodmens grocery store just by the freeway.

We are canning these days.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2022, 05:37:50 am »
I am astonished.  I have been in Wisconsin all my life but still never tasted Lazy Monk beer.  My sister went to Eau Claire, my brother went to Stout.  I've been over there.  Never made a connection that I kind-of know a brewer out there!  You are now on my radar!

Regarding the yeast thing -- the Omega yeast is listed as equivalent to both 2124 and WLP830.  However this is of course not possible.  Genetically, 2124 is nearly equivalent to... WLP029 Kolsch yeast, which is actually a pastorianus lager yeast!  This might explain how it performs so well at warmer temperatures... what if the Omega yeast is actually closer to WLP029?  Meanwhile, WLP830 is more closely related to... 2278 Czech Pils.

In truth, all of the above are pretty closely related.  When it comes down to choosing one over the other, it's all personal preference based on a lot of experience, either that or, a total guess.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2022, 07:07:35 am »
I am astonished.  I have been in Wisconsin all my life but still never tasted Lazy Monk beer.  My sister went to Eau Claire, my brother went to Stout.  I've been over there.  Never made a connection that I kind-of know a brewer out there!  You are now on my radar!

Regarding the yeast thing -- the Omega yeast is listed as equivalent to both 2124 and WLP830.  However this is of course not possible.  Genetically, 2124 is nearly equivalent to... WLP029 Kolsch yeast, which is actually a pastorianus lager yeast!  This might explain how it performs so well at warmer temperatures... what if the Omega yeast is actually closer to WLP029?  Meanwhile, WLP830 is more closely related to... 2278 Czech Pils.

In truth, all of the above are pretty closely related.  When it comes down to choosing one over the other, it's all personal preference based on a lot of experience, either that or, a total guess.
Those lists that compare the various strains are pretty much bull$hit.  Many, MANY years ago I saw a comparison for 2124 and 830 and I had used both a number of times and I never thought they were the same.  Your comment just checked a number of boxes and actually makes me feel better because Lazy Monk mentioned German Lager 1 being crisper and I always thought 830 was crisper than 2124.  It's making me feel better too because even though I did want 2124, I do like 830 quite a bit and it may have been a decade since I used it.  So this will be a great experiment.  I used to make a great Red Lager with Hallertau hops and 830 so maybe I'll blow the [literal] dust off that recipe.  Does anyone have a comment regarding the fact that the lady at the supply house gave me two packs of this yeast?  Add both of them to the SNS starter?  The date on them is April 2022... I think.   
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2022, 07:18:09 am »

Those lists that compare the various strains are pretty much bull$hit.  Many, MANY years ago I saw a comparison for 2124 and 830 and I had used both a number of times and I never thought they were the same.  Your comment just checked a number of boxes and actually makes me feel better because Lazy Monk mentioned German Lager 1 being crisper and I always thought 830 was crisper than 2124.  It's making me feel better too because even though I did want 2124, I do like 830 quite a bit and it may have been a decade since I used it.  So this will be a great experiment.  I used to make a great Red Lager with Hallertau hops and 830 so maybe I'll blow the [literal] dust off that recipe.  Does anyone have a comment regarding the fact that the lady at the supply house gave me two packs of this yeast?  Add both of them to the SNS starter?  The date on them is April 2022... I think.   

Here is a new comparison list that someone has spent about 200 hours of research to put together.  Might be worth a gander.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16XRUloO3WXqH9Ixsf5vx2DIKDmrEQJ36tLRBmmya7Jo/edit?usp=sharing

Use both packs if they are expired, yes.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.