Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: yeast pitch rate  (Read 847 times)

Offline Bozinator

• Cellarman
yeast pitch rate
« on: July 27, 2022, 06:36:48 pm »
I have been capturing and using the yeast from a batch that is fermenting ( extract). My question is if Im capturing and using yeast from the previous batch, is it possible to pitch TO MUCH yeast and how the heck can I determine my pitch rate? first couple batches turned out fine the 3rd batch fermented so quick and the flavors were off. Please advise

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: yeast pitch rate
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 07:50:50 pm »
Yes, you want to carry over as few dead cells as possible. Also, some yeast growth can provide positive flavors. That said, under pitching is usually more problematic than overmatching. You can use a yeast pitching calculator (do a search) to get an idea how much slurry you need or just pitch a portion from each batch. You probably don't need more than 1/4-1/3 of the total slurry from any batch.

It's also probably best to avoid repitching from beers much higher than 1.070 or so since they will not be the healthiest yeast.

Offline Bozinator

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 08:51:12 pm »
All good advise thanks, Ill check out a pitch calculator for sure

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
yeast pitch rate
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 06:26:42 am »
Whenever I consider repitching (not often), I try to devise a way to collect the ‘blue collar’ cells. The cells that fall out early are ‘under-performers’ IMO that may lead to issues in future beers. The cells that hang around and keep working are the ones I think should be harvested.

So… I believe the best way I have to harvest yeast is to transfer the nearly finished beer to a keg with a few gravity points left and allow the fermentation to finish there under a spunding valve. 

Then, once the beer clears, serve that keg until it kicks. If the beer was good with no off flavors or other issues, then the yeast can become a candidate for reuse.

Once empty, without discharging the CO2 in the empty keg, move the keg to the lagering/conditioning fridge to serve as a sort of yeast brink.  The yeast hangs out in a puddle of beer it created to protect itself and a CO2 environment until the next brewday.

On brewday, during some downtime between events, harvest the yeast from the keg, allow it to separate, decant off the old beer, and make a Shaken Not Stirred starter with a bit of the cooled brewday wort. The amount of yeast in the bottom of the keg is the amount used for the next beer. It’s probably an over pitch but better over than under IMO. No calculator required.

Disassemble, Inspect, Clean, and Reassemble the keg between later brewday events and fill it with low foam sanitizer used to sanitize the fermenter.  Pitch the SnS starter and connect the fermenter to the keg to allow the fermenting wort to push the sanitizer out and as a result purge the keg with CO2. Start the process over again to serial pitch.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 06:55:21 am by BrewBama »

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 08:11:32 am »
Whenever I consider repitching (not often), I try to devise a way to collect the ‘blue collar’ cells. The cells that fall out early are ‘under-performers’ IMO that may lead to issues in future beers. The cells that hang around and keep working are the ones I think should be harvested.

So… I believe the best way I have to harvest yeast is to transfer the nearly finished beer to a keg with a few gravity points left and allow the fermentation to finish there under a spunding valve. 

Then, once the beer clears, serve that keg until it kicks. If the beer was good with no off flavors or other issues, then the yeast can become a candidate for reuse.

Once empty, without discharging the CO2 in the empty keg, move the keg to the lagering/conditioning fridge to serve as a sort of yeast brink.  The yeast hangs out in a puddle of beer it created to protect itself and a CO2 environment until the next brewday.

On brewday, during some downtime between events, harvest the yeast from the keg, allow it to separate, decant off the old beer, and make a Shaken Not Stirred starter with a bit of the cooled brewday wort. The amount of yeast in the bottom of the keg is the amount used for the next beer. It’s probably an over pitch but better over than under IMO. No calculator required.

Disassemble, Inspect, Clean, and Reassemble the keg between later brewday events and fill it with low foam sanitizer used to sanitize the fermenter.  Pitch the SnS starter and connect the fermenter to the keg to allow the fermenting wort to push the sanitizer out and as a result purge the keg with CO2. Start the process over again to serial pitch.
Are you using one of those floating dip tubes?  When my keg is empty, there's not a lot of slurry at the bottom.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline BrewBama

yeast pitch rate
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 09:57:53 am »
I do. I xfer during active fermentation. The active yeast settle out which become the harvest. Note: I rarely harvest yeast

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 10:01:27 am by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 10:01:29 am »
I do. I xfer during active fermentation. The active yeast settle out which become the hervest

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV

That's certainly a very valid way of doing it, as proven by your experience. OTOH, harvesting slurry post fermentation has always worked well for me. 2 roads to the same destination.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bozinator

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 04:40:37 pm »
thanks for all the suggestions and good advise