Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Increasing Grain in extract kit  (Read 1935 times)

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
Increasing Grain in extract kit
« on: September 23, 2010, 08:29:01 am »
Good morning!

I purchased an oatmeal stout kit from Midwest, but when I put the ingredients into Beer Smith, it came out barely in or below the style profile.

6 lbs Dark Liquid Extract
8 oz Oats (flaked, I think)
4 oz chocolate malt
4 oz roasted barley
1 oz Fuggles (60 min)
Wyeast #1084

SRM = 22.9
IBU = 17.1

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this kit. Also, advice on doubling the oats, chocolate malt, and roasted barley, and adding .5 oz more Fuggles would make this better? It would bring the SRM up to 31.7 and the IBU up to 25.6.

One last thing, do I need to mash the grains since it has oats in it or will steeping (per the instructions) do?

Thank you!
Dano

Forgot to say, it is a 5 gal batch and I am doing a full boil.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:34:13 am by dano14041 »
Tulsa, OK

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: Increasing Grain in extract kit
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 08:40:11 am »
Hmm, I'd think it would be darker since you are using dark liquid extract.  The problem is that you don't know what grains were used to make it dark, so you don't really know what flavor profile it will yield.  Presumably the people who formulated the kit took this into account.  I'd be a little wary of cranking up the dark specialty malts without knowing what was in it.  Oatmeal stout shouldn't really be excessively roasty, so you want to watch what you add.  You might do it as the recipe states, including steeping, and then taste it before you start the boil.  If it doesn't have enough roast flavor, steep more.  You don't have to do it all at once.

The oats will give you flavor but not any gravity points unless you mash them.  As stated, they're just going to give you a permanent starch haze (which might not matter if you're making an opaque beer).  You can do a mini-mash with an equal amount of two-row barley and convert them.  Use 155F or so.

When I make an oatmeal stout, I use oatmeal for 10-20% of the fermentables. So I would crank those up without worry, except that I'd mash them.

Do you do a concentrated boil or a full boil?  Is that part of your IBU calculation?  I don't really like my oatmeal stouts too bitter and also know that the roasted grains will give some bitterness that you will taste but won't be in any IBU formula.  It also depends on the strength of your beer.  You can increase them if it's a stronger beer.  In an average strength beer, I'd look for something around 22 IBUs, but that's my taste.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 08:59:47 am »
This is only my second batch, ever.  :o I am going to do a full boil on this one. I figure 6 gal to have a finish volume of 5 gal. Yeah, the program took the full boil into account for figuring the IBUs. (Had to play with it to make sure)

The 8 oz of oats are 7.14% of the grain bill, increasing it to 1 lb would bring it to 13.33%, which seems to me to be more desirable.

If I do a mini-mash, how long should I mash at 155F? And can I do it with a smaller pot and big strainer for the mash?

Thank you!
Dano
Tulsa, OK

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 09:15:54 am »
How long to mash?  That's like "how long to cook?"  The correct answer is "until it's done."   ;)

I'd guess about a half an hour, but pay attention to how it looks and tastes.  It will go from being all shiny (reflective) and hazy to something that looks darker and clearer.  The flavor will change from starchy to sweet.  The malt needs to convert itself along with the oatmeal, so it could take longer depending on the specific conditions.  It doesn't hurt anything to let it go longer, and a wide range of temperatures will work so don't be paranoid about that.  Maintaining a specific temperature on a stove can be hard.  Anything in the range of 140-165F will do.

A small pot and a big strainer should work fine.  If you have a grain bag for steeping specialty grains, you could use that too.  Use less water than you would for steeping.  Assuming you're using a pound of oats and a pound of grain, you might use 3 or 4 quarts of water.  You can rinse (sparge) your steeped grains with water in the 150-170F range.  Do this first, then top off your pot with as much water as it takes to hit your target volume.

Good luck.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 09:27:24 am »
Thank you gordonstrong! Sounds like it is going to be a fun, learning brew day.  :D
Tulsa, OK