Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malt recommendations say 5%-10% of the total grain bill, how does this apply  (Read 1023 times)

Offline David Jones

• 1st Kit
I just read where in general Carapils and Carafoam should be between 5%-10% of the total grain bill.  I'm assuming this means to add up the weight of fermentable ingredients and take the percentage from there.  This would naturally include DME/LME, grains, sugar, et al. But I'd like to avoid the assume proverb, so I figured I should ask.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Include any extract, sugars, base malt, special malt (crystal , roast, etc) and other adjuncts (wheat, rye, oats, corn, rice, etc).  Use the total weight to determine the percentage weight of each component.

Basically, anything but hops, water (to include minerals, acids, etc), clarifying agents, and yeast (to include yeast nutrients).

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
If you are looking for improved foam and body in the finish beer, Carapils and Carafoam won't actually do that for you, believe it or not.  Personally, I would not go through the hassle and would skip them.  But of course, run experiments with and without and find out for yourself.

Assuming you are brewing a standard 5 gallon batch, each percent of grain amounts to roughly 0.1 pounds. So, 5 to 10% equates to approximately 0.5-1 pounds of the grain, assuming a 5-gallon batch.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 09:24:08 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline David Jones

• 1st Kit
Thanks BrewBama and dmtaylor

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
If you are looking for improved foam and body in the finish beer, Carapils and Carafoam won%u2019t actually do that for you, believe it or not.  Personally, I would not go through the hassle and would skip them.  But of course, run experiments with and without and find out for yourself.

Assuming you are brewing a standard 5 gallon batch, each percent of grain amounts to roughly 0.1 pounds. So, 5 to 10% equates to approximately 0.5-1 pounds of the grain, assuming a 5-gallon batch.

THIS
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Fire Rooster

I just read where in general Carapils and Carafoam should be between 5%-10% of the total grain bill.

Grain Bill
6  lbs Vienna =  6 div by 8.5 = 70.59 %
2  lbs Munich=  2 div by 8.5 =  23.53 %
.5  lbs Wheat = .5 div by 8.5 = 5.88 %

TOTAL GRAIN BILL = 8.5 lbs

This is what I use for all grain, take notes, and adjust based on taste.
I always brew 4.5 gallon batches (volume in fermenter).
Top off with water to hit the 4.5 mark.
No longer mess with calculations for grain absorption and water evaporation.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 10:08:18 am by Fire Rooster »