Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How much CO2 leak is normal?  (Read 2151 times)

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
Re: How much CO2 leak is normal?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2022, 04:02:51 pm »
I too have had a leak in a manifold.  It was at the knob for shut off.  I had to put the manifold under water to find it. 

I also made a pressure gauge checker monitor thingy by putting a CO2 gauge on a liquid QD. I am sure they make this thing but I had all of the parts.  I pressure up my leg and attach the qd gauge thingy.  It helps me track down where a leak might be in the system.  At least you know your regulator is good.

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2022, 05:42:44 am »
I've been battling a CO2 leak for the last few months and doing my part to contribute to the mythical C02 shortage that is reported on every few months it seems like.  I have six tap system, but I can put up to 10 kegs in my kegerator (the last two are 2.5 gallon kegs on the hump). 

Assuming it will be tough to take full five gallon kegs and submerse them in water, how long would one say is long enough to for a pressure test on individual kegs?  4 hours?  12 hours?  1 day?  Multiple days?

I'm also wondering how much C02 should I be using to force carbonate and push six kegs?  I have 10lb C02 tanks that I exchange with a local gas company. 

I have a Christmas Party in two weeks, so I'd like to get this under control by then for sure.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2022, 02:51:45 pm »
Pushing out carbonated brew, not much.

Carbonating. Is this burst carbonating or carbonating at the recommended levels of CO2 for the beer/temp?

Can always carbonate, in the keg, with corn sugar using a spunding value, then serve with CO2 to push out.

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2022, 02:54:15 pm »
Usually just carbonating at the recommended levels for temp, but periodically I have burst carbonated (like last week to have a few beers ready for Thanksgiving).

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2022, 11:18:31 am »
Try all of what you have heard. 

Change the regulator gasket. 

One time, and only one time in 20+years, my CO2 bottle had a leak at the pressure safety valve.  That sucked.  One time I had a bad valve on my manifold that was leaking at the screw to the handle.  I had leaky pressure release valve on a corny lid.  What else? 

That's all I got.  Good luck.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2022, 01:52:02 pm »
I had to get a rebuild kit for my regulator this year.  It started not holding the pressure I set (set pressure to 12#.  It might move to 4 or 15 with no warning) and dumped a 20# tank in about 20 days.  My 20 #-ers normally last 6-7 months.  First time in 20ish years of kegging I've had that happen.

The regulator on my portable kegerator was working fine, luckily.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?