Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbonation  (Read 650 times)

Offline Sekwbrew

• 1st Kit
Carbonation
« on: July 31, 2022, 09:02:02 am »
Ok so I fermented under pressure and I’m ready to bottle my beer. How do I get the carbonation levels correct? I was at 9 psi at 66° and after reducing the temperature to 45° the pressure went to 2 psi so some of the carbon dioxide was absorbed but I don’t think I have enough yet. I don’t want to over carbonate the beer so I’m looking for advice on how to use a carb stone to finish up carbonation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Carbonation
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 09:11:58 am »
Ok so I fermented under pressure and I’m ready to bottle my beer. How do I get the carbonation levels correct? I was at 9 psi at 66° and after reducing the temperature to 45° the pressure went to 2 psi so some of the carbon dioxide was absorbed but I don’t think I have enough yet. I don’t want to over carbonate the beer so I’m looking for advice on how to use a carb stone to finish up carbonation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
9 PSI at 66F is close to equivalent volume of CO2 as 2 PSI at 45F. You didn’t capture enough CO2 to carbonate to serving levels. You will need to force carbonate the rest of the way. At room temperature you would need to let pressure build to about 30PSI to capture enough CO2 for serving at 36-37F (fridge temps).

See this chart for more details:

https://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table/

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 07:28:08 am »
I pressure ferment at approx 7psi.  Pressure transfer to keg, place keg in fridge, attach CO2 line set at 10psi.  Within a week or two it's ready, no stone needed.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Nujackk

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 02:57:49 pm »
What psi should I set if leaving at room temp? Right now room temp is about 72f

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 03:14:15 pm »
What psi should I set if leaving at room temp? Right now room temp is about 72f

https://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbonation-calculator/
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV