Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Let me describe this symptom and maybe you guys can give me direction...  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Let me describe this symptom and maybe you guys can give me direction...
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2022, 07:15:28 am »
Sorry to read you are still dealing with this problem.

I've had similar pours when some debris were in the beer line. I'm a homebrewer and throughly clean my lines every 3rd use. However, after kicking a Raspberry Wheat keg I had similar pour problems. Turns out it was pieces of raspberry in the lines!

What was in the line before the problems appeared?
The problem disappeared as soon as that keg was swapped out.  I also clean my lines regularly and there is never a beer with any solids (fruit, hop bits, etc) although I could see a small chunk of yeast getting lodged in there.  The lines I'm using is the hard plastic stuff (I forget the name) that is very rigid.  Bevflex Ultra or something?  It's not the soft, pliable line.  But with the issue being gone now I have to assume it's the keg so I will examine the dip tube, the liquid-out post, the o-ring and the poppet.  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2022, 07:20:27 am »
I had a keg that would sporadically do the same.  I discovered a pinhole in the pickup tube.  When the beer level was above the hole, perfect pours.  When below, a small amount of CO2 was injected into the line causing foam.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2022, 07:41:14 am »
I had a keg that would sporadically do the same.  I discovered a pinhole in the pickup tube.  When the beer level was above the hole, perfect pours.  When below, a small amount of CO2 was injected into the line causing foam.
I was going to suggest that this is the problem once Ken said he didn't use a floating dip tube.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995