Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Speed Brewing and hop additions  (Read 1586 times)

Offline rx1970

• 1st Kit
Speed Brewing and hop additions
« on: August 01, 2022, 08:44:36 am »
Denny and Drew mention a 20 minute boil for extract in their Simple Homebrewing (a great book!). For hops they suggest using 50% extra for the first addition to ensure adequate bitterness and also more flavor. Would I then just skip the flavor addition and just do an aroma addition as usual in the last 10 minutes?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Speed Brewing and hop additions
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 08:47:10 am »
Denny and Drew mention a 20 minute boil for extract in their Simple Homebrewing (a great book!). For hops they suggest using 50% extra for the first addition to ensure adequate bitterness and also more flavor. Would I then just skip the flavor addition and just do an aroma addition as usual in the last 10 minutes?

20 min. boil works with either extract or all grain. Other than doubling the bittering hops, all other additions remain the same.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rx1970

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 08:51:36 am »
Thanks Denny! 🍺 👍

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 10:24:58 am »
Thanks Denny! 🍺 👍
Wait!  You have an R100?
(Your name implies you have a Mazda R100 rotary coup)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 10:30:08 am by jeffy »
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 05:38:45 am »
Simple Homebrewing is a Great Book!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 08:06:55 am »
Simple Homebrewing is a Great Book!

Thank you so much!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell