Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gas One BP40 10 gallon kettle  (Read 889 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Gas One BP40 10 gallon kettle
« on: July 30, 2022, 02:06:09 pm »
Well folks, I am not sure if this is where my problems are, but I went to check my Gas One 10 gallon kettle thermostat today and found the needle to be at around 120 empty and stored in a shed in San Francisco.  I am pretty sure it was not 120 in the shed, as it has been overcast and foggy all day.  So, I figured maybe it needed to be reset, so I loosened the small nut on the back of the dial that should allow me to turn the dial and reset the needle.  Nope, stripped.  Well heck, so I put it in hot water and used a meat thermometer next to it to see what happens, thinking the thermometer will reset.  Nope, it just kept turning to the bottom of the dial and was at about 60 degrees when my digital thermometer said it was at about 145.  Damn, ok.  Well, there is a nut on the stem, so I turned that thinking I could get the ring to turn and reset the dial.  Well, I got the ring to turn, but when it did, the darn seal came loose and wrapped around the middle of the needle stem, rendering this thing useless.  If I would have known, I would have told her to just buy me a kettle with no valves or anything.  That would have been a ton cheaper and I could have bought a cheap digital thermometer to use during the mash.  I am not happy, and have sent an email to Gas One to see what they say.  If they don't make good, I am going to plug the hole where the temp thermometer goes and use a digital anyway.  I am already into this thing way more than I should be, but that is how it goes.  Anyway, just giving all a heads up that, while I felt the kettle was cool, and my wife paid more to get something nice, it seems it is not working out that way.  So now, I am wondering if the thermometer was off on my last 2 brews and that is why they are messed up?  Only time will tell. 

Anyway, take it for what it is worth. 

RR

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Gas One BP40 10 gallon kettle
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 03:39:47 pm »
Man, sorry to hear that. Given the issues you've had, I think the thermometer could be the problem. Do you have to remove it, though? Why not leave it and just ignore it?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 05:47:33 pm »
Man, sorry to hear that. Given the issues you've had, I think the thermometer could be the problem. Do you have to remove it, though? Why not leave it and just ignore it?

It has a fairly long probe, so if I am going to not use it, I might as well try and get rid of it so it doesn't tear the bag up.  I am just kinda bent up because my wife spent a lot on it, it my opinion.  But we will move on and see what they say. 

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 06:47:23 pm »
You could get another thermometer to put in that port. They come in a variety of lengths. I think it is a better measure of mash temperature down there than sticking a handheld probe in the top few inches. Of course you can have all kinds of variations throughout your vessel, both vertical and radial, and there is no such thing as "the" mash temperature, but I still feel that a probe submerged in the lower part of the kettle gives you a better reading than one stuck in from the top.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 07:09:04 pm »
You could get another thermometer to put in that port. They come in a variety of lengths. I think it is a better measure of mash temperature down there than sticking a handheld probe in the top few inches. Of course you can have all kinds of variations throughout your vessel, both vertical and radial, and there is no such thing as "the" mash temperature, but I still feel that a probe submerged in the lower part of the kettle gives you a better reading than one stuck in from the top.

I agree, and I have been looking, but it seems they are all similar.  Do you have any in mind that you would recommend

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 08:53:41 pm »
No, I don't have one I can recommend. I use an RTD probe with an Arduino-based interface and display which is part of my PID loop for mash temperature control. It is too complicated and finicky for me to recommend it to other people, but it works for me.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline MDL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2022, 11:13:37 am »
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/plugwl12.htm

Could plug it. Not sure this will fit so check your measurements.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 10:51:23 pm »
Quick update.  I got an email from the company and they are going to replace the thermometer.  My thought is, I am going to put it back in and try again.  But, I am also going to have a digital as well to make sure all is well.  I am hopefully going to get back on track and get my beer groove going again.  LOL.