Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Iodophor: BTF vs Vinoferm  (Read 1482 times)

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • Birra Nursia
Iodophor: BTF vs Vinoferm
« on: September 30, 2010, 09:29:23 am »
Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of the Vinoferm brand of Iodophor (I think it is from a French company) ... specifically concentration?
I have heard all the things about the BTF brand from national chemicals and to use only 1 TBS per 5 gallons.  But since I am in Italy, the only thing I can easily get is the Vinoferm version, which basically says to add 5 ml per 10 liters (which is about the equivalent of 2 tsp to 5 gallons).  I've tried searching the web (although I'm not sure how well) to find if Vinoferm is just more concentrated, but can't really find anything.  I'm assuming that the difference wouldn't make that much of a difference if it was more concentrated and would not affect the beer in the big picture.  However, I was just wanting to see if anyone might know the differences.
Br. Francis
Birra Nursia

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Iodophor: BTF vs Vinoferm
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 10:12:44 am »
It might be more concentrated, I'd recommend following the directions and using it at the recommended concentration.  The stuff I've found in English say to rinse, so I would do so.  If you can find out the actual concentration you can probably dilute it to a no-rinse strength, but I don't know it, sorry.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline amish electrician

• 1st Kit
Re: Iodophor: BTF vs Vinoferm
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 09:55:17 pm »
Yeah not much info about Vinoferm, but if it is anything like Brupack Iodophor which is also sold in those parts, it looks like it might have some additional cleaners in it that necessitate rinsing.  Is there a list of active ingredients on your bottle?  If it just says Iodine, then I'd think you could find a concentration that gives you a light amber and use it no-rinse.