Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hopping  (Read 1295 times)

saberhagen

Dry Hopping
« on: October 01, 2010, 10:27:19 am »
So I'm brewing a batch of Cascade Dark which calls for a ten-day conditioning/dry-hopping in the secondary.  I fermented too warm/quick in the primary, so I want to condition longer to remove some of the fusels, acetaldehyde and diacetyl.

1). What's the max time one should allow dry hops to hang out in the secondary?

2). Is it bad to rack to a secondary, then add dry hops later, closer to bottling day?

Thanks!

Offline 6thstreet

• Cellarman
Re: Dry Hopping
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 10:57:07 am »
1) Most people don't like to go more than two weeks due to worries of vegetal flavors.  I've gone 17 days and not had a problem but am afraid of pushing it any further.
2) Not at all

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 11:34:46 am »
A little OT but there is no need to rack to secondary.  You can age and dry hop in primary. Agree that 2 weeks is max normal dryhopping time.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 12:14:37 pm »
I've dry hopped for months without getting vegetal flavors, but AFAIAC that's more related to hop variety than length of dry hopping.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 02:52:42 pm »
I think the amount and time of dry hopping is dependent on one's personal tastes and threshold to hops. One must not only factor in the hop genome (as Denny had indicated) but also the age or "freshness" of the hops. I think there is an "aquired tast" that is developed over time. There's a sort of trial and error process that will be dialed in to one's personal tastes.   

I have dry hopped for a few months and as little as two weeks and I think there is a point of diminishing returns. YMMV
Ron Price