Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: should i add champagne yeast to this kveik for bottle carbonating?  (Read 740 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
the yeast sunk out pretty well, i got some eeec118 packs, or should i simply attempt to add some of the yeast sediment back in on bottling day?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: should i add champagne yeast to this kveik for bottle carbonating?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 08:58:21 pm »
I would never use champagne yeast to carbonate, unless I used champagne yeast for the main fermentation.  How long has the brew been sitting?  If the answer is less than about 3 months, you don't need to add any more yeast.  Period.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 08:34:00 am »
I doubt you need to add any yeast at all. There should be plenty still in suspension.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 09:38:56 am »
I've used EC-1118 to carb up beers but I wouldn't be worried about needing to reyeast that beer unless it's been sitting for a long time. It might look clear but there are still friends going for a swim in your beer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 12:04:04 pm »
I would never use champagne yeast to carbonate, unless I used champagne yeast for the main fermentation.  How long has the brew been sitting?  If the answer is less than about 3 months, you don't need to add any more yeast.  Period.
I was under the impression that champagne yeast would be good for bottle conditioning because it will only eat the simple sugar added when priming. Can you elaborate on why champagne yeast would be bad for this?

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 12:23:03 pm »
I was under the impression that champagne yeast would be good for bottle conditioning because it will only eat the simple sugar added when priming. Can you elaborate on why champagne yeast would be bad for this?

You may have a point there.  Champagne yeast is probably not able to eat the dextrins or maltotriose in beer.  However, it would be a different story if the beverage is not beer but rather cider or mead, in those cases addition of champagne yeast will ferment all the way down to 0.992.  It just seems odd to me to use champagne yeast for anything other than making champagne.  The OP didn't specify what he's making so without that information, I stand by my previous statements.  In almost any case, there is no good reason to add any more yeast, unless the brew has been aging for a loooooong time to the point where most of the yeast is now dead.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 02:29:31 pm »
sounds good guys, i cant remember where i heard it, here or somewhere else but i did read something about kveik, and maybe voss, the one im using that it settles so strongly that there isnt enough yeast in suspension to carbonate sometimes?

my voss seemed powdery though imho