Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Free the Hops in Huntsville  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
  • Submarines once, Submarines Twice....
Re: Free the Hops in Huntsville
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2022, 05:00:58 am »
Well I rejoined FTH for another year. Not sure what progress they will make on the national delivery front, but it would be good to mail beer or get it delivered via mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2022, 08:24:00 am »
Speaking of weird rules pertaining to beer, I just read a story about the alcohol control authority in New Jersey dreaming up some good ones. Some of these are ridiculous IMO.  Note — these aren’t laws enacted by legislation, they are the control authority rules. Authoritarian State at its finest. Here are a few the article listed:

All patrons of a brewery must take a detailed tour of that brewery before purchasing any alcohol for consumption on or off site. The tour may not include sampling beer. ("A licensee must provide such a tour prior to allowing any on-premise consumption, including but not limited to consumer sampling.")

They had something similar to this in a brewery just outside of Savannah, GA. IIRC, it was a state law and since I haven't been there in quite a few years, I don't know if it is still in effect.  You came in, paid for a brewery tour and they would then give you a couple pints at the bar after the tour.  You could then purchase packaged beer to take out when you left the facility.  Ironically, if you were in downtown Savannah, you could go into a brewery there (such as Moon River) order a beer at the bar and then get a "to go" plastic glass of beer that you could carry with you as you walked down the street.  The city of Savannah has what's known as a Designated Outdoor Refreshment Area (DORA) that permits this, but it is restricted to certain areas of the city.

We have DORA's in Ohio for communities which was enacted in 2015 prior to the Republican Convention  in Cleveland in 2016 (so they could take their booze out on the streets of the city). The DORA areas were then permitted to be expanded for all Ohio communities in 2022 as a part of the homebrewing legislation I worked on.  Obviously, there are some legal hoops to jump through to set up a DORA.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Free the Hops in Huntsville
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2022, 09:08:32 am »
Speaking of weird rules pertaining to beer, I just read a story about the alcohol control authority in New Jersey dreaming up some good ones. Some of these are ridiculous IMO.  Note — these aren’t laws enacted by legislation, they are the control authority rules. Authoritarian State at its finest. Here are a few the article listed:

All patrons of a brewery must take a detailed tour of that brewery before purchasing any alcohol for consumption on or off site. The tour may not include sampling beer. ("A licensee must provide such a tour prior to allowing any on-premise consumption, including but not limited to consumer sampling.")

They had something similar to this in a brewery just outside of Savannah, GA. IIRC, it was a state law and since I haven't been there in quite a few years, I don't know if it is still in effect.  You came in, paid for a brewery tour and they would then give you a couple pints at the bar after the tour.  You could then purchase packaged beer to take out when you left the facility.  Ironically, if you were in downtown Savannah, you could go into a brewery there (such as Moon River) order a beer at the bar and then get a "to go" plastic glass of beer that you could carry with you as you walked down the street.  The city of Savannah has what's known as a Designated Outdoor Refreshment Area (DORA) that permits this, but it is restricted to certain areas of the city.

We have DORA's in Ohio for communities which was enacted in 2015 prior to the Republican Convention  in Cleveland in 2016 (so they could take their booze out on the streets of the city). The DORA areas were then permitted to be expanded for all Ohio communities in 2022 as a part of the homebrewing legislation I worked on.  Obviously, there are some legal hoops to jump through to set up a DORA.
In Huntsville we have those designated areas. We call them purple cup districts. You can buy alcoholic drinks to go in purple cups and walk around outside. There are 4-5 districts around town.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 03:20:24 pm by tommymorris »

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2022, 02:53:13 pm »
"Arts and Entertainment Districts" is what they call em. I remember Decatur had lines painted on the sidewalk --- this far, no further with your cup.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2022, 08:27:54 am »
We did the ghost walk tour in Old Town Huntsville Friday night and found the painted lines on the sidewalk.  Next ghost walk will be downtown and I think I can take a refreshment with me. 
Also, anyone done the Huntsville Boos Cruise? https://www.huntsville.org/event/boos-cruise/47186/
My wife is thinking it may be a fun ride, starts and ends at Greenbus brewing downtown.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2022, 08:32:37 am »
We did a cemetery walk around Halloween years ago. The characters were dressed in period costumes. Great time.

Never did the booze cruise here in HSV but did one in Savannah which was a blast.

Offline Ron756

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2022, 08:39:56 am »
We have done the ghost walks in several places as we move around.  Kind of a fun way to get some local history and entertainment.  The best (and most expensive) was one we did in Old Town Alexandria, VA.  It was a haunted pub crawl through old town.  Stopped at about 6 different pubs.  Expensive since my daughter brought her new boyfriend and I ended up buying dinner and drinks for everyone at each spot.  Maybe not the best impression on the new boyfriend (25-year-old Marine) going out with girlfriend's parents and drinking heavily.  He held his own though.