Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brix and ounces  (Read 1716 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Brix and ounces
« on: April 23, 2020, 08:45:39 pm »
Aargh.  I'm about to bottle an imperial stout.  I want to add natural blueberry syrup at the time I bottle.  I will be bottle conditioning and corking the beer for Christmas giveaways... assuming it tastes good!  So here's the dilemma: The blueberry syrup will unavoidably add part, but not all of the priming sugar, so I will have to add some corn sugar to get the right level of CO2.

The carbonation tool in Beersmith says I will need 3.36 oz. of corn sugar, but I need to subtract from that because of the sugar in blueberry syrup.  I contacted the company (Amoretti) who sent me a specification sheet indicating that the syrup has 68 Brix.  WTH am I supposed to do with that?

Can someone help me out?  My brain is numb trying to figure this out.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Brix and ounces
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 09:56:33 pm »
That would be a specific gravity of 1.337.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 10:57:09 pm »

I assume you mean the 68 Brix is SG 1.337.  Math challenged as I am, If I add 6.5 oz. of the Blueberry (which is the flavor threshold I am looking for), how much more corn sugar should I add to get my 4 gallons to 2.4-2.5 vv CO2?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 05:40:37 am »
Make sure the syrup doesn't have potassium sorbate in the ingredients because that will prohibit the syrup from fermenting. I never have used flavoring syrups but I would check.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Brix and ounces
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 05:48:42 am »

I assume you mean the 68 Brix is SG 1.337.  Math challenged as I am, If I add 6.5 oz. of the Blueberry (which is the flavor threshold I am looking for), how much more corn sugar should I add to get my 4 gallons to 2.4-2.5 vv CO2?
You have 184 grams syrup at 68% Brix. That is equivalent to 184*0.68 = 125 grams of table sugar. You need 96 grams (3.4 Oz) table sugar to carbonate your 4 gallons 2.4-2.5 vv CO2. So, no corn sugar. You can back off the syrup to 5 Oz to carbonate to your spec. If you choose to use all 6.5 Oz syrup your beer should carbonate to 2.9 vv CO2.

I used this calculator for part of the math. https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

The extra acidity and effervescence from 2.9 vv might be a nice addition to a fruit beer.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 05:51:04 am by tommymorris »

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 09:28:51 am »
Thank you so much!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 03:29:53 pm »
Thank you so much!
You’re welcome. I hope the beer turns out well.

Offline my5sons

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 10:45:29 pm »
I realize this is a really old, but I was googling and came across this thread.  I received the spec sheet from Amoretti and Artisan Blueberry now shows a Brix of 74.5 +/- 3 Brix.  However, the bottle shows a sugar content of 52 grams per 100 grams of flavoring.

Going back to the math, 184 grams or 6.5 ounces, you're looking at 184*52 = 95.68 grams of sugar. 

From Google: Degrees Brix (symbol °Bx) is the sugar content of an aqueous solution. One degree Brix is 1 gram of sucrose in 100 grams of solution and represents the strength of the solution as percentage by mass. If the solution contains dissolved solids other than pure sucrose, then the °Bx only approximates the dissolved solid content. The °Bx is traditionally used in the wine, sugar, carbonated beverage, fruit juice, maple syrup and honey industries.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2022, 11:15:05 am »
I realize this is a really old, but I was googling and came across this thread.  I received the spec sheet from Amoretti and Artisan Blueberry now shows a Brix of 74.5 +/- 3 Brix.  However, the bottle shows a sugar content of 52 grams per 100 grams of flavoring.

Going back to the math, 184 grams or 6.5 ounces, you're looking at 184*52 = 95.68 grams of sugar. 

From Google: Degrees Brix (symbol °Bx) is the sugar content of an aqueous solution. One degree Brix is 1 gram of sucrose in 100 grams of solution and represents the strength of the solution as percentage by mass. If the solution contains dissolved solids other than pure sucrose, then the °Bx only approximates the dissolved solid content. The °Bx is traditionally used in the wine, sugar, carbonated beverage, fruit juice, maple syrup and honey industries.

I assume the 6.5 ounces are fluid ounces, not 6.5/16 lb.