Poll

Which version do you think best fits the American Stout Category

Am Stout (comp) V1
0 (0%)
Ale-Obscura
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: August 23, 2022, 11:01:05 am

Author Topic: American Stout - First beer for Comp  (Read 1388 times)

Offline TxAleWorks

• 1st Kit
American Stout - First beer for Comp
« on: August 17, 2022, 09:07:13 pm »
Changing up the thread just a little, after some thought I came up with a different beer that has a bit more of an American Hop schedule

Version, the one that is in the OG post....this gets 1/2 pound of coffee in the mash
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1299982/am-stout-comp-v1

Version 2 - a more "American" hop schedule and a few changes
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1305376/ale-obscura

Trying to brew this on Sunday, so need to hit the LHBS NLT Saturday

Thank you in advance

T
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 11:03:23 am by TxAleWorks »

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: American Stout - First beer for Comp
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 05:17:36 am »
T,

Welcome to the AHA forum.

Your recipe looks tasty and doesn't need to be changed.  If you are looking for ideas to help win the competition, here are some thoughts.

Personally I would swap the quantities of chocolate and roasted barley.  This will help ensure "that coffee flavor" that judges expect.

The recipe seems like a cross between an American Stout and a Tropical Stout, but doesn't fit either one squarely...

If you really want an American Stout, the judges will be looking for citrusy American hops but find none.  Toss in some American hops at end of boil or dry hop with some, and you'll have more of a true American Stout.

On the other hand, if you like the hopping the way it is, this will be fine for a Tropical Stout.  But this style is supposed to be a little sweeter.  In this case, you could either try mashing hot like around 159 F to kill the beta amylase, or you could add about half a pound of lactose near the end of the boil.  Or both.  That's a tropical stout.

If I were you, I might go Tropical on this one.  But of course all of this is entirely up to you.  The recipe is good the way it is too.  I just am not certain if it would medal.  On the other hand, every competition is a crapshoot.  Some beers I thought were great don't medal, while others I think sucked won silvers and golds.  If you want good feedback -- if you REALLY want to know if your beer is to style -- then you really should enter this same beer into at least 3 different competitions.  Inevitably, half the judges have no clue and their scoresheets can be tossed into the recycle bin.  The other half will give you good feedback.  You'll know which is which when you see it.

Oh.... you didn't mention yeast.  What yeast will you be using?  This might make some difference.  I think yeast is less of a big deal for stouts than for many other styles, but, just curious, as it *might* be significant, maybe.

Good luck!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline TxAleWorks

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 07:41:38 am »
T,

Oh.... you didn't mention yeast.  What yeast will you be using?  This might make some difference.  I think yeast is less of a big deal for stouts than for many other styles, but, just curious, as it *might* be significant, maybe.

Good luck!

Sorry was going with US-05 2-3 packs, not set up for starters just yet, more to the point do not want to bother with them

Also forgot to add, because it was in the notes at the bottom when I copy/pasted - that I usually ad 1/4-1/2 pound of coffee in the mash...
I am looking at an Obsidian Clone, that JZ says is a better Am Stout than what he has in his Brewing Classic Styles book...and I am really not too far off, except for the hops.

I will post a rework in a bit

Offline BrewBama

American Stout - First beer for Comp
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 09:00:38 am »

Sorry was going with US-05 2-3 packs, not set up for starters just yet, more to the point do not want to bother with them

You only need ~15 grams at that OG and volume. (Assuming ferment temp at 65°F)

Offline TxAleWorks

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 09:43:29 am »

You only need ~15 grams at that OG and volume. (Assuming ferment temp at 65°F)

Yep, and US-05 is 11g so at least 2, but will base on the actual OG

Offline TxAleWorks

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 09:46:19 am »
What are the rules for posting links to other recipe formulation sites? Brewers Friend, to be exact, I have 2 version that I would like feedback/comparisons on

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 09:50:19 am »
What are the rules for posting links to other recipe formulation sites? Brewers Friend, to be exact, I have 2 version that I would like feedback/comparisons on
You can link to other sites.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2022, 10:09:37 am »

There are no rules about that. Go right ahead
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline TxAleWorks

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2022, 10:41:51 am »
Version, the one that is in the OG post....this gets 1/2 pound of coffee in the mash
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1299982/am-stout-comp-v1

Version 2 - a more "American" hop schedule and a few changes
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1305376/ale-obscura

Trying to brew this on Sunday, so need to hit the LHBS NLT Saturday

Thank you in advance
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 11:01:38 am by TxAleWorks »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2022, 12:21:14 pm »
I would say that the second recipe should have more than 5% roasted malt however I'm not much of a stout brewer.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2022, 12:38:35 pm »
Your second recipe would score better.

In either case:

1) Dark roasted grains are acidic.  You will not need any lactic acid, unless your source water has high alkalinity.  If you are using distilled or RO water, this will not be the case.

2) One pack of yeast is almost enough.  Two is plenty.  You will not need 3 or 4 packs!!

3) If you are adding coffee, this will be a Herb/Vegetable beer, not just an American Stout.

Cheers.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2022, 01:21:32 pm »

In either case:

1) Dark roasted grains are acidic.  You will not need any lactic acid, unless your source water has high alkalinity.  If you are using distilled or RO water, this will not be the case.

2) One pack of yeast is almost enough.  Two is plenty.  You will not need 3 or 4 packs!!

3) If you are adding coffee, this will be a Herb/Vegetable beer, not just an American Stout.

Cheers.

All of this, especially about the lactic acid
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline TxAleWorks

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2022, 04:33:47 pm »

In either case:

Cheers.

Ca+2   Mg+2   Na+       Cl-   SO4-2    HCO3-
88.7             7.2           14.0     78.4     83.5   100.000

That is what the predictor says the water will look like, lactic acid gets the mash down to 5.4ph

Yeast will be pitched according to gravity of course, but here is the issue, there is a ton of different cell counts for the dry yeast, the US-05 data sheet of which I just found a new one, say there are 10 billion cells per gram, with a slight over pitch (0.5) I would need 183 billion cells, and when I redid the calculations on the pitch rate calculator I choose the wrong preset, so you both are correct that 2 packs will do it...I was also going off an old data sheet that had the cells/gram at 6 billion

Thanks to everyone for the input, all this get stored away and I try to be a better brewer with every beer

T

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2022, 04:56:23 pm »
I suggest waiting to taste the finished product before deciding what sub category it belongs in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline TxAleWorks

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2022, 11:54:29 am »
After a lot of input, this is what I might, maybe, could possibly brew tomorrow

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1305584/am-stout-comp-v2